Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rhubarb Gelato

I had a few stalks of rhubarb in my fridge and some gorgeous, fresh eggs that my husband got from the owners of the house he's been working on; I thought to myself: what a perfect weekend to whip up a batch of gelato!

So, I dusted off my sorbetiere and stuck it in the freezer for the requisite 24 hours to make sure that that magic gel inside is completely solid.










Step one: Make a rhubarb compote
Trim and thinly slice rhubarb. I ended up with about 8 cups. Stick it in a large flat-bottom pan and cook with 1 C organic, granulated sugar until you have a compote. Place this in the fridge and let cool for several hours, or overnight.

Step two: Make a custard
In a stainless steel bowl over a pot of simmering water, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 1/2 C organic granulated sugar, 2 C heavy cream, and 1 C milk. Cook in the double-boiler until a custard forms. The mixture should coat the back of your spoon. Place this in the fridge and let cool for several hours, or overnight.

Step three: Churn
Use your ice cream maker as instructed. I ended up churning mine for about 40 minutes till I got a nice, gelato texture.

Step four: Enjoy!
Eat as is, or freeze for a more ice cream-like texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons