Skip to main content

Intensely Spicy, Sexy Chocolate Cake for #TripleSBites


Eat dessert first! I've heard that, but given that I don't have a huge sweet tooth, I rarely abide. However, to kick off our #TripleSBites event I decided to bake a cake. Click to read more about how we're celebrating romance with #TripleSBites.

Welcome to the first day of Triple S. Triple S means spicy, saucy, and sexy. So this is just an Intensely Spicy, Sexy Chocolate Cake from my kitchen to yours. Just for fun, I made it heart-shaped.

I've read many Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake recipes. Really? Sorry, no cake is that good! And I've heard of people using mayonnaise in cakes before. I was unconvinced. But, after The Precise Kitchen Elf showed me the science of making a cake with mayo - from the book he got for Christmas - we decided to give it a try. Besides I had gotten a Spicy Mayo from Intensity Academy, one of the event sponsor, and thought that would fit into the theme perfectly.


Just for fun, here are the (purported) aphrodisiac qualities to this cake...

Chili peppers: The capsaicin in chili peppers heats up the body, increases blood flow, and causes the brain to release endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals. Many cultures throughout history have claimed peppers as an aphrodisiac. 

Ginger: Like chili peppers, ginger increases circulation and body temperature. Legend has it that famous French courtesan Madame du Barry provided ginger to all of her lovers to increase their desire and improve their pleasure.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, which stimulates the same hormone your body releases during sex. Maybe there's validity to the 'better than sex' claims after all. Maybe. 

Thanks to my Kitchen Elves for making this delicious cake. For their purposes, I just called it our Intensely Chocolate Cake. For #TripleSBites...it's the Intensely Spicy, Sexy Chocolate Cake.


Ingredients
Cake makes four 8" cakes - two round and two square
  • 1/2 C bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 t crushed chili peppers (thank you, Gourmet Garden Herbs & Spices*)
  • 1/2 t ginger (thank you, Gourmet Garden Herbs & Spices)
  • 2 C coffee
  • 3 C all purpose flour
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1 C organic dark brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 2/3 C mayonnaise
  • 2/3 C spicy mayonnaise (thank you, Intensity Academy*)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 t organic chocolate extract
Frosting
  • 6 C organic powdered sugar
  • 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 3/4 to 1 C organic milk
  • 1 t organic chocolate extract
Procedure
Cake
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring 2-1/2 C coffee to a boil. Once it's boiling, remove from heat and add 1 t crushed chili peppers and 1 t chopped ginger. Let spices infuse the coffee for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain out spices. Heat to a boil again and measure out 2 C spice-infused coffee.

Butter and flour three 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in medium metal bowl. Add coffee and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Sift flour and baking soda into another medium bowl.Using electric mixer, beat both sugars and mayonnaise in large bowl until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in chocolate extract. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with chocolate mixture in 3 additions, beating until blended after each addition and occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Divide batter among prepared cake pans (about 2 1/3 cups for each).


Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 20 minutes. Run small knife around sides of cakes to loosen. Carefully invert cakes onto racks and let cool completely.

Frosting
Sift together sugar and cocoa. Set aside. Cream together the butter and organic chocolate extract. Add in 2 C of the sugar-cocoa mixture, then 2 T of milk. Mix and repeat until all of the sugar-cocoa has been added. If the frosting is too thick, thin it out with more milk. I ended up using about 1 C milk. Frost cooled cake immediately. Let set for about 20 minutes before serving.

Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread 3/4 C frosting over top of cake layer to edges. Top with second cake layer; spread 3/4 C frosting over. Spread remaining frosting decoratively over top and sides of cake. 


Cut cake into wedges and serve with some strong coffee.


Thanks, Intensity Academy and Gourmet Garden Herbs & Spices* - just two of our #TripleSBites sponsors - for ingredients used in this recipe.


*Full Disclosure: I received a bottle of Spicy Mayonnaise from Intensity Academy and an assortment of lightly dried herbs from Gourmet Garden Herbs & Spices for participating in #TripleSBites. Feel free to use whatever spicy mayo and herbs you have on-hand. I received no additional compensation for this post; all comments are 100% accurate and 100% my own.

Here's what everyone else brought to the table to kick off our event...



We had some very generous event sponsors for this event.
THANK YOU!

Comments

  1. That cake looks TOO good! Love the spicy sweet combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the pictures of your kids cooking! This cake looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Yes, they are getting to be quite comfortable in the kitchen. I LOVE it.

      Delete
  3. Yum. My mom makes a birthday cake that uses a jar of Miracle Whip. It's one of my favourites, because the chocolate is intense. I would love to try it with some spices to take it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a special diner I love to cook crab legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cakes looks amazing! I've not been brave enough to add chili peppers to my chocolate anything. I think I need to change that. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and chili are an amazing combination. You should try it!

      Delete
  6. Looks fantastic- I love that your kids are helping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being an adult, because then we can have dessert first! Your cake looks moist and delicious, and I love the addition of spicy mayonnaise! Yum, Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been craving chocolate cake with buttercream frosting-and I just realized why-I can't get the image of this delicious cake out of my head!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I now know what I will use the chili paste in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! Someday I'm going to be brave & make a spicy mayo cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce