Laissez le bon temps rouler! I forgot to put the andouille sausage in my Sweethearts' Seafood Boil last weekend, so I had a pound that was begging to be used. And I had a jar of RED spice blend from Voodoo Chef* that was sent to me for participating in an online event earlier in the month. Put those together - and given that today is Mardi Gras - the culinary lightbulb of inspiration blinked: Red Beans and Rice! It's easy; it's filling; and, most importantly, it's delicious. Note: mine is not a traditional red beans and rice recipe. I throw in whatever veggies I have on-hand for a nutritious, one-pot meal. Thanks to our High Ground Organics CSA for keeping my fridge stocked with fresh, amazing produce.
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 1 large leek, trimmed and diced
- 3 or 4 small carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 T butter
- splash of olive oil
- 1 pound cooked andouille sausages, halved and sliced
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (I used lacinto kale)
- 2 C cooked red beans (I used some scarlet beans from Rancho Gordo)
- 1-1/2 C fresh tomato paste
- 1-1/2 C organic chicken stock
- 1 T RED spice blend from Voodoo Chef
- cooked rice (I used some Jade Pearl rice from Lotus Foods)
- freshly chopped herbs (I had cilantro)
- freshly chopped green garlic (substitute scallions if you can't find any green garlic)
In a large souppot or Dutch oven, melt butter in a splash of olive oil. Add in the fennel, leek, carrots, and celery. Cook till the carrots are fork tender. Stir in the sausage and kale. Cook till kale is just wilted. Add in the beans, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Stir in the spice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer while you cook the rice.
To serve, spoon the beans into a bowl. Top with a scoop of rice. Garnish with herbs and green garlic.
*Full Disclosure: I received a bottle of RED spice rub from Voodoo Chef for participating in #TripleSBites. Feel free to use whatever spice rub you have on-hand. I received no additional compensation for this post; all comments are 100% accurate and 100% my own.