Monday, February 9, 2015

Rosewater Truffles with Rose Crystals


Though I'm not a girl who insists on chocolates and roses for Valentines' - or anytime really - I do love a good truffle.

Last year one of my best friends and I took a Truffle-Making Class with the über-talented Jenn of Rook No. 17 who I am fortunate enough to know outside of the blogosphere!

So, when I received some complimentary samples of rose crystals from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals, when I ordered some edible flowers from them, I knew that I wanted to use the crystals to garnish some Valentine truffles. I also received hibiscus, cilantro, basil, fennel, and mint. You'll be seeing those on other dishes soon.

Rosewater Truffles with Rose Crystals
makes approximately 30 truffles

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 C 72% cacao chocolate, chopped
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • 1 T butter, softened
  • 1 T rosewater
  • rose crystals (click here)
Procedure

Place chopped chocolate and rosewater in a large mixing bowl.  In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour cream over the chocolate.  Let sit for three minutes, then whisk until smooth.  Stir in butter. Refrigerate until firm - at least two hours. I left mine overnight.

Now all you need to do is scoop the ganache into truffles...and dip them in tempered chocolate.

Making the Truffles
Procedure
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. With a tablespoon or tablespoon scoop, scoop chilled truffle ganache from your bowl and place on the lined tray. Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes. (I let them chill for about 30 minutes.)

For chocolate-dipped truffles...how to temper chocolate...

Place half of your chipped chocolate (I didn't measure, but you can just repeat the process if you run out of chocolate) in a double-boiler and, over low heat, warm until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the other half of the chocolate. Set aside until the chocolate begins to lose its shine; it's beginning to crystallize. Then, return the chocolate to the double-boiler and warm, over very low heat, until smooth and glossy.

Dip chilled truffles in the melted chocolate, one at a time.  You may use a candy dipping tool, but I just use a two-toothpick combo. Dip the truffle quickly into the melted chocolate and shake off the excess.  Place on the parchment-lined tray and use another toothpick to nudge the truffle off of the toothpick.  Dip the toothpick back into the melted chocolate and use a dab of chocolate to cover up any imperfections. Sprinkle with rose crystals. Let set. 

2 comments:

  1. Those look so elegant and special!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, truffles are relatively easy to do, but look so impressive. Have you ever made any?

      Delete

Share Buttons