Skip to main content

'Embracing the Wonky Chayote' Gratin for #foodrevolutionday


One of February challenges for the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution Ambassadors (I'm the Monterey #FRD2014 rep!) is to...

Embrace Wonky Veg!

Hmmm...okay. What do you think they mean by "wonky"???

won•ky
ˈwäNGkē, (adj) informal
1. crooked; off-center; askew.
2. (of a thing) unsteady; shaky.
3. not functioning correctly; faulty.

So, I'm going with the first definition, not the second or third. The whole point is that they are not faulty, right? So, we're embracing the crooked vegetables...the fruits and vegetables that aren't picture perfect. Easy enough.

Here's an excerpt from a post I wrote in 2013 about choosing ugly tomatoes (I Choose Ugly!). Same idea. 

"Ugly tomatoes are not the perfectly round, perfectly red specimens that you can find in almost every grocery store. They are not smooth; they often have fluting and they might have cracks. So long as the flutes and cracks haven't allowed rotting, they are perfectly fine to eat. They are not bright red all over; they have color variations, including flecking, zebraing, and more. One more thing that they are not - and this is the most important point - they are not tasteless."

As a general rule, my family doesn't shy away from the ugly, or the wonky. I mean, check out my post about Buddha's Hand Citron.

In our minds, the uglier, the better. They have so much character, I use them as dining table centerpieces before we eat them.

But I realize now that it's a bigger issue of these fruits and vegetables not even making it to the markets. Yikes. They taste just fine. What a waste of perfectly good food! 

Here's a monster porcini with a wonky stem! I'm pretty sure that when D asked me to buy one for him, he searched carefully through the basket, locating the porcini that was the most gnarled.

He called it a home for woodland gnomes...and explained to me that the twisted stem was actually more structurally sound than the straight ones.

Hmmm...I don't know if he's correct, but I happily paid for the one with the most character.

It didn't matter that it was crooked. We sliced it up and used it on our Marinated Mushroom Medley for Thanksgiving.

As for the lumpy, wonky cap, I marinated that and my husband grilled it.

As for my 'embrace the wonky' recipe, I opted to make something with the wonky, but wonderful, chayote squash my neighbor gave to me. Actually we traded. He gave me the chayote; I gave him a huge slice of my Intensely Chocolate Cake. I think I won that trade.

'Embracing the Wonky Chayote' Gratin

Ingredients

  • 3 or 4 chayote, peeled and cubed
  • 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced thickly
  • 3 to 4 stalks of celery, sliced thickly
  • 2 T butter
  • 1 ¼ C organic heavy cream
  • 1 ½ C grated cheese (I used havarti)
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • ¼ C ricotta cheese
  • ½ C grated parmesan cheese

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the chayote, leeks, and celery in a pot. Cover the vegetables with water. Boil for 5 to 6 minutes until just fork tender.

In another medium saucepan over low heat, heat the butter, cream and havarti until bubbling. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

Drain the chayote mixture and spoon it into a rimmed baking dish. Pour the sauce over the top. Dot with ricotta and sprinkle with parmesan.


Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Increase heat to broil. Broil until surface is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

What do you think? Do you embrace wonky?

Comments

  1. I love squash. I don't think I have ever had chayote squash though. I wonder if our climate isn't right for it here in Michigan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably...it's something that's pretty tropical or at least temperate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce