Friday, October 3, 2014

Cooking from the Garden {#frd2014}

I cannot say no to helping kids love to eat their veggies...even if I have a full day at work and I'm already committed to an afternoon cooking class at the same school. It's a weakness. No, it's just one of my missions in life: get kids to eat - and like - their veggies.

As one of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Day Ambassadors (I'm the Monterey #FRD2014 rep!), I knew this class would be a perfect activity towards that end. There is nothing more satisfying than hearing a group of kids gush: these vegetables taste so good! 

I didn't get a chance to taste what they made, so I'll take their word for it. It all looked good though.



So when R's teacher emailed earlier in the week and asked if I could come up with a couple of recipes using what they were going to harvest today, I readily agreed. He told me that they would have turnip greens, turnips, green beans, and nasturium.

I had the kids pull tasks and off we went. Here's the crew, cooking what they have grown from seed in their school garden.



 


On the menu... [click on name to go to the recipe post]

Green Salad


They did a great job. And I am so happy that they all ate their veggies...and first thing in the morning, too. Win, win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons