Skip to main content

'...And These Lil' Piggies Had a Mud Tub Party' Cake


Our friend Stella loves pink, pigs, chocolate, and marzipan. So, it was pretty easy planning her cake. It had to have pink, pigs, chocolate, and marzipan. Surprise, Stella Bella! D did a great job on the cake.


Cake Components

Ingredients for the Marzipan Cake
  • 1 7-ounce tube almond paste
  • 1/4 C butter, softened
  • 1/2 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1 C ground almonds
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 t organic hazelnut extract
  • 1/4 t organic chocolate extract
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 t baking powder

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line an 11" cake pan with parchment paper.

Cream the almond paste with the butter and sugar. Mix in the ground almonds. Beat the eggs slightly with hazelnut and chocolate extracts and add to the creamed mixture.

Combine the flour and baking powder and fold into butter mixture. Mix with as few strokes as possible.

Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The cake is done when it is lightly browned and firm to the touch.

To Assemble...
Slice the cake layers in half so that you have 6 thin layers. Roll the almond pastes into circles, approximately 10" diameter.

Lay a chocolate layer on your serving platter. Alternate: chocolate layer, chocolate frosting, chocolate layer, chocolate frosting, almond paste, marzipan cake, chocolate frosting, marzipan cake, chocolate frosting, almond paste...you get the idea.

Once your cake is assembled, frost the tops and sides. Press pirouette wafers around the side to create the wooden sides of the tub.


Tie the ribbon around the wafers to keep them upright. Place fondant pigs to look as if they are wallowing in the mud.



Happy birthday, Stella! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...