Sunday, September 29, 2013

Seared Scallops with Pepper Purée {Amuse Bouche}


I remember reading something about scallops once: cook quickly, sauce lightly. Makes sense since scallops are so succulent and delicate. So, I usually follow that advice though I have no idea where I read that.

Tonight I sauced a little heavier than usual to create a flavor-rich amuse bouche to kick off our Sunday dinner. This is what I served for our first course: seared scallops with pepper purée and caviar limes.

  • butter
  • Scallops, rinsed and dried (one or two per person)
  • 1 T citrus pepper purée per scallop
  • 1/2 caviar lime per scallop 
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet melt some butter. Press the scallops into the pan to sear them quickly on each side, probably two minutes per side. Leaving them on there longer produces a thicker crust and nice color.

To serve, place a tablespoon of pepper purée on a serving plate. Gently lay a scallop on the purée. Squeeze the caviar lime pulp on top of the scallop. Garnish with freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons