Skip to main content

Chicka-Chicka Salad {Taste & Create}

This is my third month participating in Taste and Create - a fun, low-key recipe swap where I cook from one blogger's posts and she cooked from mine. I was assigned to No Reason Needed.

My eyes immediate fell on this recipe - No Reason Needed's Chicka-Chicka Salad - because my boys loved that book when they were small.



Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is written by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault and illustrated by Lois Ehlert. It's a sweet, colorful alphabet book full of rhymes that makes kids giggle.

"Whee!" said D to E F G, "I'll beat you to the top of the coconut tree."

I digress. This is about the recipe and the food...but I thought I should explain why I picked the recipe that I did, especially in light of the fact that her review of the recipe was tepid.

I whipped this up as a quick mid-week lunch and served it on crackers. We really liked it. Her recipe used only cranberries, celery, and mayo; I subbed fennel for the celery and then added in some other flavors to make it a little bit more exciting. This is a super easy, but super tasty chicken salad.

Boiled or roasted chicken, chopped
fennel, chopped
dried cranberries
pecans, chopped
minced garlic
mayonnaise
stone ground mustard
salt
pepper
fresh oregano
splash of olive oil

That's it. Play with the proportions - if it's too liquidy, add more chicken; if it's too dry, add more mayo or olive oil.

Comments

  1. Sorry for the long delay. Crazy busy here with the end of school, getting our daughter ready for staffing at camp (leaving tomorrow for seven weeks) and our son's graduation. Finally, I got to making something from your blog and wasn't disappointed. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...