Skip to main content

Rhubarb Tart with a Vodka Crust


I had never heard of a vodka crust. But when we went olallieberry picking last weekend, my friend's mom, who is a fantastic baker, told me to give it a try. "Just substitute half of the water in your crust for vodka." Okay. Sounds easy enough. And the result: silence at the table - because they were too busy stuffing their mouths to talk. I guess it was good!

Vodka Crust
2 C white whole wheat flour
1 C butter, chilled
1/2 C organic powdered sugar
1/2 C ground almonds
3 T cold water
3 T cold vodka

Using a pastry blender, blend all the ingredients - except the water and vodka - together to form pea-sized chunks. Add the liquids and gently press together until it forms a ball. Press the dough into a buttered tart pan and stick it in the freezer while you prepare the rest of the tart.

The Filling
4 C sliced rhubarb
1/2 C organic granulated sugar
1 T corn starch
2 T softened butter
granulated honey for sprinkling
  
In a large mixing bowl, toss together the rhubarb, sugar, corn starch, and butter. Preheat the oven to 385. Spoon the mixture into your tart crust and bake for 55-60 minutes - until the crust is firm and lightly golden. Let cool slightly. Sprinkle with granulated honey. Serve warm.

*Update 7/5/2013: Adding this recipe to Close to Home's Friday Food Frenzy.*

Comments

  1. I have heard of this but I love your recipe with whole wheat and almonds,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tasted rhubarb for the first time this year and made some awesome recipes. I will have to remember this for next year. Thanks for linking up to friday food frenzy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...