Skip to main content

Turkey Sandwiches with Olallieberry Sauce


One of the suggestions that Dylan came up with for our olallieberry bounty: turkey with olallieberry sauce. "You know, Mom, like at Thanksgiving...instead of cranberry sauce." The kid was having a blast brainstorming what we should cook today. So, while we did laundry, I whipped up an olallieberry sauce, slathered it on a turkey sandwich, and called it lunch.

Olallieberry Sauce
1/4 C organic granulated sugar
1/4 C freshly squeezed orange juice
2 C olallieberries

Wash and pick over olallieberries. In a saucepan bring to a boil orange juice and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add olallieberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator. The sauce will thicken as it cools.

Sandwich...

  • Bavarian rye bread
  • slices of roasted turkey
  • slices of cheese (we used Danish havarti)


Place pieces of bread on a baking sheet and layer with sliced turkey and sliced cheese. Toast in a 250 degree until the cheese is melted and the bread beginning to crisp. Spoon a teaspoon of olallieberry sace on the turkey and top the sandwich with another piece of toasted bread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...