Saturday, May 18, 2013

Beetroot Halwa {Taste and Create}


This is my third month participating in Taste and Create and I was assigned to Sara's Tasty Buds. There were so many recipes that I wanted to try, but I had my heart set on one of her halwas. She has a cornflour halwa, a wheat flour halwa, and even a lentil halwa! But I decided to make her Beetroot Halwa because I already had some leftover roasted beets in my fridge...and I've never heard of a halwa made with beets before. We did make a carrot halwa once that was delicious and easy!

My only stumbling point was 'khoa.' I had no idea what that was, but one site suggested it was similar to ricotta, so I went with that. Also, I subbed almond paste for her cashew paste and butter for ghee. I know, I know, purists are rolling their eyes, thinking that I should have gone to the store. But it was the end of a long and trying week. I was going for easy. And it turned out great.

1 C shredded beets
1/2 C organic granulated sugar
1/2 C ricotta cheese
2 T almond paste
4 T butter
1 t ground cardamom
sliced almonds, for garnish

Place all of the ingredients in a large flat bottom-pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well-blended and warmed through. Spoon into individual serving dishes and let cool slightly.


*10/31/2013 Update: Linked to Carole's Chatter Beet Linky Party*

4 comments:

  1. Well made camila ........... Khoa is made by reducing the milk, it was similar to cheese only. Khoa is made by boiling the milk with sugar , when the milk is reduced , the fat from the milk left as crumbles. It can be eaten. This gives a extra taste and flavor to the halwa........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you do me a favor , link your recipe to my facebook page...........
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saras-tasty-buds/199689230111916

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with halwa, is it a sort of dessert? The color is lovely from those beets!
    Thanks for joining us!
    Min
    The Bad Girl's Kitchen
    Taste & Create

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Min, it's a dense pudding-type dessert. Delicious! You should try it.

      Delete

Share Buttons