Skip to main content

SRC July Reveal: Itzy's Kitchen

It's time for the July Secret Recipe Club reveal...thanks to Jane for linking my post up since I'm currently off-line, celebrating my parents' 40th anniversary!
Secret Recipe Club
What's the Secret Recipe Club? It's a group started by Amanda of Amanda's Cookin' but recently handed off to April of Angel's Homestead. Each month, every participant is assigned to someone else's blog from which they pick a recipe - or two - to make and post, but it's all a secret until the big day. Today's the day. I always love a kitchen challenge and some culinary adventure.

This month I was assigned Itzy's Kitchen, written by Erica, a wife, a mother, a cost analyst, and part-time fitness instructor.... She is one busy gal!

I decided to try my hand at two of her recipes. First up, her Honey Almond Butter Cereal Bars. I am notorious for cooking a full breakfast for my three boys - omelettes, potatoes, sliced fruit - and packing their lunches, but somehow ending up without anything in my belly. I figured that Erica's bars might be just the grab-and-go I need. I had a couple of challenges with making her recipe as is since we don't have a microwave and I don't buy boxed cereal. I adapted by using the honey at room temperature and subbed some of my homemade granola and raw rolled oats. It turned out really well.




1/2 C honey (I had some fresh honeycomb from which Riley, my 10-year-old helped me extract the honey)
1/2 C raw, unsalted almond butter
1/4  C ground flaxseed
2 1/2 C granola (click here for one of my granola recipes)
1/2 C raw rolled oats
1/2 C dried wild blueberries
1/2 C unsweetened dried coconut
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13" baking dish. In a large mixing bowl mix all of the ingredients together until well blended. Tamp the mixture down so that it's pressed down firmly and evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow mixture to cool completely. Then cut into bars. Enjoy!

Then I made Erica's German Potato Salad. I usually make a potato salad with caramelized leeks and kale, but I loved the look of hers - with vinegar and bacon and no mayonnaise. Yum!




8 oz applewood smoked bacon
1 trimmed, sliced leek
3 sliced ribs of celery
2 T white whole wheat flour
2 T honey
freshly ground pink Himalaya salt and flower pepper
1 C water
1/2 C honey balsamic vinegar
6 boiled potatoes (Erica peeled hers, I left the skin on mine), cubed

Cook bacon till fat is rendered. Add leeks and celery in bacon drippings until tender. Blend in flour, honey, salt, and pepper. Add water and vinegar; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add potatoes, tossing lightly. Heat thoroughly, about 10 minutes.

Well, I'd call both of those a wild success. Thanks, Erica, for the culinary inspiration. ~CMM


Comments

  1. Those bars look wonderful! Great pick for the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You outdid yourself- both look fantastic :) Glad you enjoyed. Hope the celebration is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I LOVE german potato salad - so tangy and tasty! Just wanted to give you a heads up that I had your blog this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to adapt the cereal bars, they and the potato salad both look wonderful.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. we love cereal bars so much, but both dishes sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potato salad is always a show-stopper for me... I would often just have a full dinner with a fresh batch of it and bacon is definitely a must! lol
    First time I read of a potato salad done with a veloute-kind dressing, interesting... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like potato salad :) greetings from my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy. What a fun blog check out my blog if you get a min and have not already :).

    Have a great day

    http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bars look perfect for a grab and go b'fast - which I usualy forget about. And the German potato salad - haven't made it in ages. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce