Skip to main content

The Lunchbox Round-Up for #FoodNFlix


Food‘nFlix
I hosted this month's Food'N'Flix and I chose The Lunchbox*. You can read my invitation: hereUnlike most of the films I've selected for the group, I had never actually watched this movie. But I'm so glad I did! 

The group shared recipes for everything from a mango cocktail to curries and, even, the paratha that serve as the "envelopes" for the correspondence between Ila and Saajan.

On Our Plates...
I am sharing The Lunchbox-inspired dishes in order that I received them from the bloggers. What a delicious looking Smörgåsbord of Indian food! I can't wait to try these dishes.


Kimberly of Coffee and Casseroles made Mistaken Identity Wings. I love that, even though she has been a vegetarian since 2001, she whipped up these wings in a honey garlic sauce for her mom.


Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm poured a Mango Cooler made with a mango paste that she says resembles marmalade in texture and would be fantastic smeared on toast. I think I'll go with her tropical drink with a punch.


Heather at All Roads Lead to the Kitchen created Creamy Tomato Shrimp Curry with Turmeric Rice. About her selected dish, Heather shares, "With all of its beautiful spices and simple ingredients, I can see Ila making this...and Sajaan eating it."


Amy from Amy's Cooking Adventures shared her recipe for Paratha. As I mentioned, these are the "envelopes" into which Ila and Saajan tuck their lunchbox notes. Paratha is a flatbread, very similar to the chapatti she's made before.  She writes, comparing the two, "Paratha incorporates a bit more oil and there is a slightly different method for rolling that give paratha its triangular shape (you’ll have to trust me on that – I managed to not get a photo of the unfolded paratha)."


Evelyne from CulturEatz shared her recipe for Kadhi ChawalThis was a totally new Indian dish to her...and it's new to me as well. Kadhi Chawal is a spiced yogurt based curry served with rice and chickpea flour fritters. Evelyne muses, "I wonder how many Kadhi Chawal will be delivered tomorrow?"



Debra of Eliot's Eats cooked up some Paneer Kofta, deciding to tackle it because this was the dish that Ila sent with her first note to her then unknown lunch recipient. Ila added this was her husband’s favorite meal. That sauce looks amazing!


Terri of Our Good Life created her own triple-level tiffin and shared her Indian Butter Shrimp. Terri writes that her first container was the bread. "I heated one naan that I purchased at the Indian grocery store and folded it in fourths, like they do in the movie." The second container was Indian Butter Shrimp. The third container was rice. Sounds like a great lunch.


Deb of Kahakai Kitchen presented us with Hard Boiled Eggs in Rich Moghlai Sauce. Deb admits, "I can eat all varieties of curry at all times of the day. but there is just something about a curry with hard boiled eggs that seems perfect for lunch." She got her recipe from Madhur Jaffrey, who offers multiple recipes for egg curries in her cookbooks. She is certainly a curry-master.


Elizabeth of The Lawyer's Cookbook made Lentil Cauliflower Curry. Because she has given up meat for Lent, this movie came at a good time, inspiring her with the many vegetarian Indian dishes. And she picked a cauliflower dish because that's how Ila learns that her husband has no idea that he isn’t getting the food she was making for him: he comments on her cauliflower and she did not make him cauliflower.


And I made Kheema Aloo which Ila tells Saajan is her favorite. Well, Kheema Pao is her favorite. But I couldn't find a recipe for that and went with the Kheema Aloo.

I hope the Food'N'Flixers have inspired you to enjoy The Lunchbox, make some Indian food, or both!

Next Month...
Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm picked our March selection. We'll be watching, or re-watching, A Walk in the Clouds.* I love that movie. I can't wait to re-watch it with my foodies glasses on and a pencil in hand.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

Comments

  1. I was so happy to watch this one again - such a great food-filled flick. Thanks for putting all of the dishes together into one delicious roundup and for being out hostess this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great movie choice Camilla, had seen it 2x already, thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that! It is definitely a see-multiple-times kinda movie. Thanks for joining me.

      Delete
  3. Mahalo for a great pick Camilla! I think I enjoyed it even more the second time. ;-) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting Camilla!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce