Sunday, February 21, 2016

SRC Rescue: Lemony Potato, Broccolini, and Goat Cheese Salad


I'm on Orphan-detail today for the Secret Recipe Club - for someone in Group D - and I am so excited about having been introduced to Nicola of Lemon and Cheese. What a lovely blog!


One of the reasons I always volunteer to help out an SRC orphan is to meet new foodie bloggers. And Nicola is definitely one to follow. She's a London-based librarian and you can almost tell that from her recipe index. It's organized by ingredient and cross-referenced by categories, both broad and specific. 

She shares that she tends to "stick to simple cookery, with lovely fresh ingredients as well as a few helpful freezer items!" She's a prolific cook, so it was hard to decide. For instance, she has nearly twenty gratin recipes and thirty sausage recipes! 

I was immediately drawn to her Merguez, Egg, and Yoghurt as a hearty brunch or even dinner. Her Guatemalan Green Chicken Stew looked quick and delicious. I was eyeing her Hake Bobotie because we love bobotie, but have only ever had it with meat. And I really considered her 12-Hour Rabbit Bolognese

But, in the end, I decided to make her Lemony Potato, Broccoli, and Goat Cheese Salad. Since lemon and cheese are two of her favorite foods, as well as the name of her blog, I thought it was fitting.

 slightly adapted from Lemon and Cheese's

I did make a mistake in not letting the vegetables cool before stirring in the cheese. So, it melted into a creamy dressing. but it was delicious nonetheless! Thanks, Nicola, for the inspiration. Next time I'll let it cool and try to keep the cheese in cubes or shred.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb Russian fingerling potatoes, quartered lengthwise
  • 1 T olive oil
  • zest and juice from 1 organic Meyer lemon
  • 4 C broccolini, chopped into 1" lengths
  • 2 C green beans, trimmed into 1" lengths
  • 1/4 C fresh dill, chopped
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 C  shredded goat milk's gouda cheese

Procedure
Boil the potatoes until just fork tender. Lift out with a slotted spoon, drain well, then place in a serving bowl with the oil, lemon zest and juice. Drop the beans and broccolini into the water and bring back to a boil. Cook until the turn a vibrant green and are still crisp. Drain.

Stir the drained broccoli and beans into the potatoes Fold in the dill, salt, pepper, and goat cheese. Serve immediately.

11 comments:

  1. You're such an angel Camilla! This recipe looks delicious and you are such a trooper dropping everything and rescuing orphans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE an orphans Angel and this is a SUPER recipe too! Love goats cheese and must check out this blog! Fab pick - Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious and thank you for stepping in this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking salad. Thanks for coming to the rescue once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous recipe you chose to share today!! Thanks for joining group D for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for rescuing one of my Group D members :) This looks fabulous. Love gouda!! Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goat gouda cheese? That's a thing!? I need to find that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fitting recipe indeed. Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this slightly melty cheese saucy deliciousness looks wonderful. Such a great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting way to prepare veggies! Love the melty cheese. You had me a gouda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for rescuing me!! I'm glad you like the salad and I am definitely going to try leaving the veg hot and adding the cheese, I love melty cheese, I bet that made it even tastier! I've never heard of goat gouda either, so I am going to have to find me some of that!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons