Skip to main content

Artisan Pasta Class: Potatoes Galore and Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream

Tonight was the final week of my Artisan Pasta Class. Boo. But, I am a better pasta maker because of it...and it was nice to spend three evenings with a friend from college who is now teaching Culinary Arts at a local high school. She's amazing! 

Today we made gnocchi which is technically not a pasta, but it's definitely under the pasta umbrella. We made Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream and Sweet Potato Gnocchi in a Brown Butter-Sage Sauce. Ummm...yum. We were split into different teams. Carolyn, Regina, and I were Team Gorgonzola Cream. So, I'm sharing that recipe.


But first, a word about potatoes. I learned that there are three categories of potatoes: waxy, starchy, and all-purpose. 

Starchy, namely russet potatoes, are perfect for gnocchi. Waxy potatoes, such as fingerlings and baby red potatoes, are the ones to use for potato salad. And all-purpose potatoes, such as Yukon gold, red potatoes, and white potatoes, are the ones to use for scalloped potatoes and any dishes where you want the potatoes to hold their shape.

Who knew? Seriously. Who knew?! I certainly didn't. I used to buy potatoes because I liked the color I had no idea they had different properties or purposes. I feel smarter already.


Every class I've taken with Jenn has me running to the store for a new gadget. I am not a gadgety cook, but I am all for becoming a better cook. So, when I took Jenn's truffle class years ago, I went right out and bought a scoop. After the first week of the Artisan Pasta Class, I bought a better food scale. And after this week, well, I think I might just need a ricer.

Using a ricer made the gnocchi smooth and uniform. I've made a lot of gnocchi in my time, but these were the best. They were what gnocchi should be. They were pillowy soft and almost melted on your tongue as soon as they hit your mouth. Outrageous.

Ingredients adapted from Cook's Illustrated

Gnocchi
  • 2 pounds russet potatoes
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4 ounces all purpose flour + more for rolling
  • 1 t salt + 1 T salt for cooking the gnocchi

Gorgonzola Cream
  • 3/4 heavy cream
  • 1/4 C dry white wine
  • 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
  • 2 T fresh basil, chiffonaded
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • grated parmesan and more basil for serving


Procedure

Gnocchi
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. With a paring knife, poke each russset potato 8 times. Microwave potatoes until slightly softened at the ends, approximately 10 minutes, rotating potatoes mid-way through cooking. [Okay, I don't have a microwave, so I'll just roast them longer!] Transfer potatoes directly to the oven rack and bake until skewer easily pierces the potato, approximately 18 to 20 minutes.

Holding each potato with  kitchen towel, peel potato with a paring knife. Process potatoes through a ricer onto a rimmed baking sheet. Spread the potatoes into an even layer and let cool for 5 minutes.

Place 16 ounces of riced potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Using a fork, blend in the egg, flour, and 1 t salt. Combine until all the flour is incorporated. Press mixture into a rough ball. Transfer to a lightly floured counter. Gently knead until smooth, approximately 1 minute.


Cut dough into eight even pieces. Roll dough into 1/2" ropes and slice into 3/4" pieces.


To form the gnocchi, press a piece of dough onto the tines of a fork. 



Use your thumb to create a dimple in the top of the gnocchi. Roll the dough down the tines to create gnocchi's signature indentations. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.


Once your gnocchi are rolled, make the sauce.


Gorgonzola Cream
Bring wine and cream to a simmer in a large, flat-bottom pan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, gradually add the gorgonzola and cook until melted and the sauce is thickened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To cook the gnocchi, bring water to a boil with splash of olive oil and 1 T salt. At a low boil, drop the gnocchi into the water and cook until they float, approximately 1 minute.


Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the cooked gnocchi. Drop the cooked gnocchi into the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. 

Comments

  1. OMG that sauce! I love making homemade gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Camilla. I'm sorry I missed the final class in the pasta series. My daughter had a performance for the PG Music Boosters last night. I enjoyed sharing a kitchen with you. Jenn is such a talented culinary teacher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce