Skip to main content

Purslane & Parmesan Orzo

Wednesday night is usually a fire-drill of some kind, especially with piano and mandolin lessons on the books for the boys. Quick and tasty is the name of the game. This dish fits the bill. It really only takes as long as the pasta takes to cook. Sweet.


Ingredients

  • 1 package of orzo
  • 2 C purslane greens, chopped (click to read about purslane)
  • 1 C carrot top greens
  • 3 T fresh herbs, chopped
  • 1 C celery, diced
  • 1 C carrots, shredded
  • 1 C parmesan cheese
  • olive oil
  • 1 T tamari
  • 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice

Procedure
Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan. While you cook the orzo according  to the package directions, rinse the purslane, carrot greens, and herbs. Place everything in a large mixing bowl.

During the last minute of cooking, place the celery and carrots in the pasta water to blanch them quickly. Drain everything and place them in the bowl with the greens. Season with tamari and lemon juice. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Toss to coat with olive oil until glossy. Serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...