Skip to main content

#10DaysofTailgate: Charred Bloody Mary with Smoky Sliders


Smoky and charred. This cocktail somehow reminded me of Smoke, a poem by Henry David Thoreau. Melted wings and light-choking smoke. I don't know...my mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Light-winged smoke, Icarian bird,
Melting thy pinions in thy upward flight,
Lark without song, and messenger of dawn,
Circling above the hamlets as thy nest;
Or else, departing dream, and shadowy form
Of midnight vision, gathering up thy skirts;
By night star-veiling, and by day
Darkening the light blotting out the sun;
Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the Gods to pardon this clear flame.

When I received Not Ketchup's Smoky Date*, I knew that I wanted to incorporate it into a cocktail for #10DaysofTailgate.

I've long been intrigued by charred cocktails; I opted to go that route. Then, I garnished it with a slider. I used the Smoky Date in both. Yum. And cheers!

This isn't really a complicated recipe. It's a cocktail + a slider. It just looks long because there are multiple steps. Please read all the way through before making a grocery list. The Charred Tomato Puree and Charred Bloody Mary Mix can be done ahead of time.


Ingredients
Charred Tomato Puree
  • 1 pound tomatoes, halved
  • olive oil
  • 1/4 t ground cumin
  • 1/4 t  chili powder

Charred Bloody Mary Mix 
  • 3 oz.  charred tomato puree
  • 3 bread and butter pickles
  • 1 T Not Ketchup's Smoky Date
  • 1 pinch ground mustard
  • 1 pinch fleur de sel


The Cocktail
  • 1 oz. gin (I opted for a cranberry clementine-infused gin versus the traditional vodka)
  • 3 oz. Charred Bloody Mary Mix (see recipe above)
  • garnishes of your choosing (I made a slider and used celery, stuffed olives, and a caviar lime)


The Slider
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 T crushed garlic
  • 2 T Not Ketchup's Smoky Date + more for brushing on while cooking
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • splash of olive oil
  • mini-buns
  • cheese for melting (I used a bacon cheddar)

Procedure 
The Cocktail 
First,  make the charred tomato puree. Brush 1 pound of halved tomatoes with olive oil and grill on each side for about 90 seconds.



Puree the charred tomatoes along with the cumin and chili powder. Prepare the Charred Bloody Mary Mix. Blend together 3 ounces of the charred tomato puree, NOT Ketchup Smoky Date, ground mustard, bread and butter pickles, and a pinch of salt.


The Slider
Preheat the oven to 375°. Combine all of the ingredients - except the mini-buns and cheese - in a large bowl. With moist hands, shape meat mixture into two tablespoon-sized meat patties. Arrange meat patties in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan lined with parchment paper. Press a hollow into the patties as that helps keep them flat. Brush them with more Smoky Date.




Bake meatballs at 375° for 35 minutes or until done. Roll them in a little bit of the sauce return them to the oven for 5 minutes. 

To assemble - Place thin slices of cheese on the mini buns and bake them until the cheese is melted. 



Place a patty on the melted cheese and slide a skewer through, with a caviar lime, a stuffed olive, and a celery stick. When you're ready to mix your cocktail, combine the charred bloody mary mix and gin. Garnish with the slider-skewer.




And here's what the team brought to the table...

Dips
Avocado and Corn Salsa by A Day in the Life on the Farm
  
Sips

Charred Bloody Mary and Smoky Sliders by Culinary Adventures with Camilla

Sides
Mason Jar Fruit Salads by Sew You Think You Can Cook

Mains
Sticky Fingers by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
Not Ketchup Cherry Chipotle Sloppy Joes and Cheese Fries by Making Miracles



Thanks again Not Ketchup* - just one of the #10DaysofTailgate sponsors -
for ingredients used in this recipe!



*I received one complimentary bottle of Not Ketchup for participating in #10DaysofTailgate. But all opinions expressed are 100% accurate and 100% my own. I've never tried this product before, and I'll definitely be buying more of the flavors!

Comments

  1. Great recipe and I love how your mind works. I could never have worked Thoreau into a post about tailgating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, you know, poetry is often part of my life. Football, not so much.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with that statement!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful meal tailgating or not...lol.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom sent me a photo last week of a Bloody Mary that had a slider as garnish! I'll have to share your post with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a photo somewhere - no recipe - and knew that I HAD to figure out how to make it.

      Delete
  4. A slider as a garnish? Oh man! NEED! And I love LOVE bloody mary's. I will definitely have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious and BEAUTIFUL way to use my Smoky Date Not Ketchup! And combining two of my favorite foods no less...Bloody Mary's and burgers. And I am 100% sure that this is the first time anyone has quoted Thoreau while cooking with Not Ketchup. I am so glad I decided to sponsor #10DaysOfTailgate - it's a week and a half of FIRSTS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aim to please, Erika. Thank YOU for sponsoring. As for Thoreau...poetry is a much more natural path for me than football and tailgating!

      Delete
  6. What a creative and cool combination - love this! So perfect for tailgating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was tempted to get the Smokey Date myself! This looks like a perfect use for it! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charred, cocktail and slider are NOT three words I could imagine any one beverage, but OMG this is an enticing combination. Gotta try some Smokey Date!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce