Ix'ni Pec is a zesty Mayan salsa similar to a Mexican pico de gallo. I just used whatever fresh tomatoes and peppers I had from our High Ground Organics CSA. Mine wasn't particularly spicy, but it was delicious! We served it on top of nacatamales for our Pre-Popul Vuh Picnic last weekend.
- 1 T vinegar (I used a white vinegar)
- juice from 1 orange
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 banana peppers, deseeded and diced
- 1 hatch chile, deseeded and diced
- 1 C fresh tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes, but use what you have)
- 1/4 C organic cilantro leaves, chopped
- pinch of fleur de sel
- freshly ground pepper
Place all of the ingredients - except for the salt and pepper - in a small mixing bowl. Blend gently and let stand for 15 minutes to blend flavors. To make this more spicy, just hotter peppers such as a habanero or jalapeno.
Serve at room temperature. This salsa stays fresh for up to 3 hours. If you refrigerate it, use quickly because it will begin to ferment.