Skip to main content

SRC: Okra Chips Two Ways


It's time for Group B's Secret Recipe Club June reveal. This month I was assigned to The Tasty Cheapskate, a blog written by Jean. She humorously writes about the name of her blog and how cheapskatery was a major theme of her childhood. She admits that she cooks now. And eats. "Though--for the record--I'm still really cheap (not margarine cheap, my friends, but cheap). It's in my bones."

Too funny. Glad to have gotten to know her...and her glowing liver!

Jean has a Cheap Eat Challenge where she's attempting to feed 6 people on 6 dollars a day. Click to read more about that: here. These Balsamic Strawberries cost just over $1; Dal with Tomato and Cream is just less than $2; and her Skillet Lasagna was $5.

I wanted to try something completely new to us and settled on her Okra Chips. But I will definitely give her Dilly Beans and Quick Pickles a try this summer. We, as a family, as not anti-okra, but I have never made them this way. Enjoy! We surely did.

Serves 4

Ingredients for the fried okra chips
  • 12 okra
  • 8 T cornmeal
  • splash of oil to coat the bottom of your skillet (I used olive oil)
  • dash of salt

Procedure 
Cut okra into thick slices and sprinkle them with salt. Place them in a small mixing bowl and dust them with cornmeal.


Heat a splash of olive oil in your skillet and heat till bubbles form. Place okra in the skillet and cook until golden or a little browner than golden. Flip and do the same on the other side. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool a bit before serving.


I did whip up a baked version, too. Just to try it out. In the baked version, I left them whole.


Ingredients for the baked okra chips
  • 1 pound okra, stem-end trimmed
  • 8 T cornmeal
  • splash of oil 
  • dash of salt
Procedure 
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the okra in a medium mixing bowl and toss with salt, cornmeal, and oil till completely coated. Place okra on a baking sheet (I used a baking stone) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.

The jury is still out on which preparation was better. R liked them pan-fried. J like them baked. D didn't get to try any because he didn't get home till later. And I liked them both. So, we'll have to try again and see which one really wins our hearts.

Comments

  1. I love Okra, will have to try this out. Great Choice for SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not a huge okra fan but this recipe could change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried okra before, but this looks tasty! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grow our Okra in our garden and just love it, this looks so good, can't wait for the summer Okra to be ready. Great choice for SRC!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. I'll have to try them baked. And your pictures are just lovely. Thanks for doing such a nice job with my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only had okra once (in gumbo, so couldn't really ascertain it's unique flavor), but this post really makes me want to try it! Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have okra planted in our allotment garden nearby and look forward to the fried okra! I use it to top gumbo, too! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you included the fried and baked versions! Great choice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the baked version. Haven't had okra in years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce