Skip to main content

Pork Pies {Party Like a Lannister}


When looking at different recipes and menus for a Game of Thrones themed luncheon for Brian, I came across photos for Jon Snow's Pork Pies. I didn't delve too far into what made them special; I just decided to make some fennel scented meat pies with an absinthe crust. Yum!

Absinthe Pâte Brisée
2-1/2 C all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 C finely ground blanched cashews or cashew flour
1/2 t fennel pollen
1 C butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3-4 T ice water
3-4 T abinsthe
fleur de sel

Place the flour, ground cashews, fennel pollen, and cold butter in a large bowl. Use the patry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea size pieces of butter. Add ice water 1 T at a time, alternating with the absinthe, until mixture just begins to clump together. If you squeeze some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready. If the dough doesn't hold together, add a little more water and cut again. Note that too much water will make the crust tough. Once the dough comes together into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.

Pork Filling
olive oil
1 lb organic, ground pork
2 T minced garlic
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 C chard, chiffonaded
1 T fennel seeds
1/2 t fennel pollen
splash of abinsthe

In a large, flat-bottom pan brown the garlic in a splash of olive oil. Cook the pork until it's cooked through. Stir in the celery, carrots, and chard. Cook until the chard is wilted and the carrots are fork tender. Stir in the fennel seeds, fennel pollen, and absinthe. Set aside.

To Assemble
Roll out the Pâte Brisée between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut to the size of your tart pans. I did several individual sized parts. Cut top crusts, place atop the filled tarts, and pinch the edges to seal. Sprinkle with fleur de sel.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the pork pies for 50 minutes - or until the tarts are golden on top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...