Skip to main content

Party Like a Lannister

Each year I host a birthday feast for my friend Brian. The themes have ranged from buckets to Smurfs and Cuban fare to beer-cheese pairings. This year I was inspired to create a lunch menu based on his (current) favorite TV show: Game of Thrones.



Okay, truth be told, I do not watch 'Game of Thrones', I'm completely unaware of the characters, the costumes, and the storyline; but I do know that the show has an official recipe book. That boded well for my idea. So, I decided to do some research. 

Here's that I served. Recipe posts to come...



In case you can't read it. Here's what it says...

Party Like a Lannister
A Game of Thrones Themed Birthday Feast

Shots of Ice and Fire
The Old Bear’s Hot Spiced Wine
Pycelle’s Iced Milk with Honey

Dates and Dragon Eggs
Jon Snow’s Pork Pies

Bran’s State Dinner
Wheels of White Cheese
Mutton with Garlic
Honeyed Fowl
Seaweed Salad
Black Bread
Baked Apples
Pickled Golden Dragon Claws

Horse-Heart Cupcakes
Icy Blood Oranges

Happy 41st Birthday, Brian!
 19 JANUARY 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...