Skip to main content

Shitake-Barley Salad with a Soy-Sake Dressing

With the warm weather we're having today, mushroom-barley soup didn't sound very appealing. So I changed direction and went for a cold mushroom-barley salad, using the shitake mushrooms from my CSA box.









shitake mushrooms
napa cabbage
spinach
soy sauce
sake
olive oil
garlic
cooked barley
furikake*

I washed, dried, and sliced the shitake mushrooms. Then I sautéed them in a bit of olive oil with thin slices of napa cabbage, whole baby spinach, and minced garlic. When they began to soften and stick to the pan, I deglazed the pan with a splash of soy sauce and a splash of sake. 

Toss with cooked barley, more olive oil, add soy sauce to taste. Chill. Sprinkle with furikake and serve.

*furikake is a Japanese seasoning made up of tasted sesame seeds and bits of dried seaweed.

Tuesday Night Supper Club

Comments

  1. I love furikake. Why did I never think to sprinkle it on barley. That sounds so delicious. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with lisa..this does sound delicious. and you got shitakes in your csa box? that must be some CSA! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christy, yes, we got shitakes in our CSA a couple of weeks back. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never tried shiitake mushrooms fresh before! curiously, in asia where i was orgiinally from, we usually use the dried form! it is really intense in flavour and the soaking liquor makes for easy stock (:

    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/02/claypot-rice-with-chinese-sausage-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy. Thanks for the tasty post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...