Thursday, May 25, 2017

Queijo Coalho (Brazilian Grilled Cheese) #BBQWeek


Welcome to #BBQWeek's Final Posting Day! What a week it's been. I hope we've inspired you to fire up the grill, serve up some burgers or steaks or chicken and some delicious sides and desserts! Follow #BBQWeek so you don’t miss one delicious recipe. There are more than 20 recipes this week from some amazing bloggers.

Our Final Offerings


Brazilian Grilled Cheese
So, I decided to go with international recipes for my posts this week. On Monday I shared my recipe for Korean Bulgogi alongside some Asparagus with Gochujang Sauce. On Wednesday, I posted a kabob recipe from Lebanon.  And I wanted to finish off the week with a Brazilian Grilled Cheese.

In Brazil, these are made with queijo de coalho, a dense, salty white cheese. I didn't end up being able to find that kind of cheese. But it's very similar in taste and texture to the Haloumi I used here. So, how is this Brazilian and not Greek or Cypriot?! Well...you'll have to use your imagination. Sorry.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb Haloumi cheese, sliced into blocks
  • 1 T fresh oregano, finely chopped
  • 2 T olive oil
  • oil for grill (pan)
  • Also needed: a grill or grill pan


Procedure
Heat grill or grill pan and rub with oil.

Place cheese on the grill. Use a metal spatula to scrape under the cheese before turning. Turn until evenly browned, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.

To serve, place grilled cheese on a platter. Sprinkle with fresh oregano. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that these were just as good using the haloumi. They certainly made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of this cheese till this week, so now I must try it! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grilled haloumi, definitely a favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons