When Ellen from Family Around the Table suggested a blogging event around Derby Day, I jumped at the chance though I wasn't completely sure I knew what that meant. So, I looked up the definition...
noun der·by \ˈdər-bē, especially British ˈdär-\
1. any of several horse races held annually and usually restricted to three-year-olds
2. a race or contest open to all comers or to a specified category of contestants bicycle derby3. a man's stiff felt hat with dome-shaped crown and narrow brim
Ellen writes: "It’s said that in Louisville, Kentucky for 6 months leading up to the Kentucky Derby, that all conversation revolves around Derby Day. My blogger colleagues and I share some derby inspired foods. Is your hat ready?"
- Angel Biscuits from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Bourbon Peach Tea from Family Around The Table
- Derby Day Truffles from Dad What’s for Dinner
- Grapefruit and Thyme Bourbon Smash from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Hot Brown Sandwich from Palatable Pastime
- Pickled Shrimp from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Tortilla Chip Derby Hats from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Though I know that Mint Juleps are the cocktail of choice for this day, I decided to go with a cocktail that celebrated winter citrus's last hurrah and used bourbon. This Grapefruit &Thyme Bourbon Smash is full of bright citrus flavor and aromatic herbs. Muddled kumquat and thyme, combined with fresh grapefruit juice and delicious Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey, it’s the perfect way to celebrate the Derby!
Ingredients makes 2 cocktails
- 10 sprigs fresh organic thyme
- 2 organic kumquats, halved
- 1 t organic granulated sugar
- 6 cold whiskey stones
- 3 ounces Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 C freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 4 dashes bitters
- 2 grapefruit slices for serving
- 2 sprigs fresh organic thyme for serving
- sparkling water
Place the thyme sprigs, kumquat halves, and sugar and add to a cocktail shaker. Muddle to release the juice from the kumquat for at least 60 seconds. Pour the bourbon, grapefruit juice and bitters to the shaker. And stir for 20 seconds.