Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Shish Tawook (Lebanese Chicken Skewers) #BBQWeek

#BBQWeek continues. Here we are at Day Two of our posting dates which are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week.


Join us in firing up the grill, cooking, serving up some burgers or steaks or chicken and some delicious sides and desserts! Be sure to follow #BBQWeek so you don’t miss one delicious recipe.

What the Other #BBQWeek Bloggers are Sharing...

My International Focus...
When I joined the group, I wanted to showcase some international grilling recipes. On Monday I shared my recipe for Korean Bulgogi alongside some Asparagus with Gochujang Sauce. Today, I'm sharing a kabob recipe from Lebanon. Back in January 2016, I uncorked a bottle of Lebanese wine - Château Musar Jeune. Too bad I didn't have a bottle to open with this dinner.


The chicken itself is wonderful, but it's the Lebanese Garlic Sauce that sends it into the culinary magic realm! Yum. Okay, my husband probably disagrees with that, referring to it as 'Instant Death to All Vampires' sauce. I call it toum.

Ingredients

Shish Tawook
  • 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
  • 1 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 10 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
  • 6 T plain yogurt (I used Greek-style yogurt)
  • 6 T olive oil
  • 2 T vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 t freshly ground pepper
  • 1" knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 t paprika
  • 1/2 t turmeric
  • 2 t freshly ground salt
  • 2 onions, peeled and cubed
  • Also needed: wooden skewers, grill pan or grill

Toum
  • 5 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
  • 4 C vegetable oil (I used canola, I've heard that olive oil doesn't work well)
  • juice from 1 organic lemon, freshly juiced
  • 1 t freshly ground salt, to taste
  • Also needed: a food processor (traditionally it's made with a mortar and pestle)

Procedure
Toum
Place the garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the garlic is a paste. Now turn on the processor on low; it will run continuously until you are finished. Through the chute, slowly pour in the oil in a slow, steady stream. After 1/2 C, you should see the sauce begin to emulsify. Drizzle in 1/2 of your lemon juice. Keep going until you have used all but 1/2 C of oil. Add in the rest of your lemon juice. Finish off the oil. If the sauce is runny, you may have added the liquid too quickly. In that case, it'll be thinner, but just as tasty!

Shish Tawook
Mix all ingredients for the marinade together. Massage the sauce into the chicken cubes. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I left mine for about 8 hours.

During the last 20 or 30 minutes of marinating, soak the wooden skewers in warm water. Skewer the chicken and onions while you heat the grill or grill pan.


Cook the skewers, turning them every 3 to 4 minutes. They should be cooked through in 15 to 18 minutes.

Here's a trick I've read about to keep your chicken moist. It works every time.


As soon as you take the chicken off the grill, place the skewers in a pot with a lid and cover it for at least 5 minutes.  The moisture and steam get locked in and the chicken doesn't dry out. 


I served the skewers with preserved lemon, toum, and saffron rice...


and a generous drizzle of toum.


Check back as we wrap up #BBQWeek on Friday. I'll be sharing a meatless grilled recipe. It's one of my favorites!

3 comments:

  1. Lebanese food is one of our favorites. Your toum sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get tired of the same old kebobs/ skewers. This looks so tasty! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound delicious - definitely my kind of flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons