Skip to main content

Cook the Books: Kale and Pomegranate Salad


For this round - our December-January selection - of Cook the Books, This month’s book selection was chosen by Deb from Kahakai Kitchen. She chose Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home by Jessica Fletchor.* You can read Deb's invitation: here.

On the Page...
This memoir, written by Jessica Fechtor, recounts the ripples in her life after she had emergency brain surgery for a bleeding aneurysm. From the initial trauma to surgery to complications, Fechtor jumps back in forth in time to tell us of her adolescence, her courtship with her now husband, her life in academia, her medical emergency, her recovery, and her journey to become a mother.

This was difficult for me to read. When I was twenty-five one of our best friends had brain surgery to remove a tumor. Fechtor's passages about the hospital and surgeries reminded me of those uncertain days. And, more recently, I lost a dear friend to brain cancer. She had just turned thirty-eight years old and left a husband and two toddlers. She battled long and hard, but one of the first symptoms I remember her sharing was the loss of vision in her left eye. As I read about Fechtor's loss of sight, a knot formed in my stomach.

Throughout all of this turmoil, Fechtor infuses memories of food. And each chapter ends with a recipe that is meaningful to her, meaningful to the narrative we just read.

I adore her view on the power of food.

Food has powers. It picks us up from our lonely corners and sits us back down, together. It pulls us out of ourselves, to the kitchen, to the table, to the diner down the block. At the same time, it draws us inward. Food is the keeper of our memories, connecting us with our pasts and with our people. ...food allows us, in some small way, to act out who we are. ...Food - like art, like music - brings people together, it's true. It begins, though, with a private experience, a single person stirred, moved, and wanting company in that altered state.  So, we say, "You have to taste this." We say, "Please take a bite."


On the Plate...
Inspired by her Kale and Pomegranate Salad, I created my own version. First, I thought I had pomegranate molasses in my cabinet; I usually do. It turns out it was mulberry molasses. I used it anyway. Second, we like our kale a little bit more softened than just raw kale dressed. So, my Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf massaged the dressing into the kale, breaking down the fibers a bit more. I also didn't have any pistachios, so pecans were it. This was delicious and I loved the addition of mustard into the dressing. We'll definitely be making this more often.


Ingredients

  • 2 bunches dinosaur kale, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 C pomegranate arils
  • 1/4 C raw pecan pieces
  • 5 T olive oil + more to taste
  • 2 to 3 T red wine vinegar + more to taste
  • 1 T mulberry molasses (or pomegranate molasses)
  • 1/2 t Dijon mustard


Procedure
Place the dinosaur kale in a large mixing bowl. Add in the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and mustard. Massage the dressing into the kale until the kale turns a bright emerald green and softens. Stir in the mulberry molasses, pomegranate arils, and pecan pieces. Toss to incorporate. Serve immediately.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

Comments

  1. I have got to get started on this book. I love the combo of kale and poms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the difficulty you had in reading it. The wife of an old friend of mine had an aneurysm this past year and I found parts of it challenging as well, knowing what she went through. It makes it hard when it relates to someone we know and care about. And I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    Your salad looks delicious. It is amazing what a little massage can do for kale, isn't it? I love the sound of the dressing too.

    Thanks for joining in this round. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Deb. Though it was tough for me to read, it was a wonderful book.

      Delete
  3. I think this was a hard book for many of us Cam. I almost made the kale salad as well. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I blitzed by this recipe in the book, but after reading your take on it, definitely want to give it a try. We also like our kale a bit softer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mulberry molasses? How interesting. I like how the pomegranate arils sparkle against the dark green kale. Great choice of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow- this salad looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of mulberry molasses and not sure it's available in my neck of the woods. Great looking salad. It was a good book and must have been hard reliving what happened to your friend. Well written,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked all the recipes in this book, but this one looked healthful and refreshing. I'd make it with swiss chard though for a twist. The book itself was the one I enjoyed most recently

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce