Monday, January 23, 2017

Ochazuke (Green Tea Over Rice)

In Japanese cuisine, this dish is called ochazuke. It’s a simple rice sidedish made by pouring hot green tea over steamed rice. 


I chose to put this on our Wine & Fine Swine menu because the pork dishes accompanying this course were Asian-inspired and - truth be told - I really wanted the chance to use my pink cast iron teapot.


Or, I should say, I really wanted to make Brian use my pink teapot. He happily obliged!


Ingredients serves 8

  • 4 C cooked rice (I used jasmine rice cooked in vegetable broth for more flavor)
  • 1 to 2 C green tea
  • pinch of salt
  • black sesame seeds for garnish

Procedure
Brew the green tea and add a pinch of salt. Set aside.

Place the cooked rice in a shallow dish with a lip to hold the tea. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds as garnish. At the table, pour the green tea over the rice and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons