Saturday, December 3, 2016

Beefed Up Brown Mary for the #Stirrings Stir It Up Holiday Blogger Mixology Challenge #Sponsor

This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Stirrings. All opinions are my own.

Stirrings put a call out for food and beverage bloggers to compete in their inaugural “Stir It Up Holiday Blogger Mixology Challenge.” Yes, please!


Bloggers were asked to create an original cocktail recipe using a Stirrings Cocktail Mixer and/or Rimmer Cocktail Garnish.


I settled on using the Simple Bloody Mary Cocktail Mixer and the Bloody Mary Rimmer.* I did receive one other mixer and one other rimmer that I'll use in other recipes.

My concern: When I have used Stirrings mixers in the past, I use them for their convenience. They are a stir-and-go kinda thing; you don't need to do much except add booze and ice. So, now I was tasked to make a pre-made mixer a little bit more sexy. Okay. Challenge accepted.

I did some reading and discovered how many variations there are of a bloody cocktail. I knew that if I used vodka, it was a Bloody Mary and using tequila makes it a Bloody Maria. But I learned that pouring in sake makes a Bloody Geisha and substituting rum makes a Bloody Pirate. You get the idea.

I was most intrigued by the Brown Mary, which uses whiskey, and the Red Snapper, which uses gin. Those are usually my cocktail bases of choice. Jake and I tested three different alcohols and settled on the whiskey version.

Here's my Beefed Up Brown Mary for the Stirrings Stir It Up Holiday Blogger Mixology Challenge...


Ingredients makes one cocktail

Cocktail
  • 3 ounces Simple Bloody Mary Cocktail Mixer
  • 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
  • juice from 1 lemon wedge
  • 1 to 2 dashes hot sauce
  • 2 drops lemon bitters
  • freshly ground pepper
  • ice cubes
  • Also needed: mason jar and cocktail glass

Garnish
  • lemon wedge
  • Bloody Mary Rimmer
  • 1/4 to 1/2" wide strip of peppered beef jerky
  • 1 each of pickled carrot cube, pitted green olive, pickled green pepper, pickled red pepper, gherkin, and pickled pearl onion

Procedure

Thread the pearl onion, green olive, pickled carrot, pickled green pepper, pickled red pepper, and gherkin onto a toothpick or small skewer. Use kitchen shears to slice your beef jerky into a strip.

Rub the lemon wedge over the rim of your serving glass. Dip the glass in the Bloody Mary Rimmer. Invert and fill with ice.

In a mason jar, stir together the Simple Bloody Mary Cocktail Mixer, bourbon whiskey, lemon juice, lemon bitters, and hot sauce. Add in one to two grinds of black pepper.


Carefully pour the cocktail into the prepared glass.


Garnish with pickle spear and beef jerky.


Raise your glass with a friend or loved one. Cheers! This Elf and her Taste Testing husband were happy...



You may find Stirrings...
on the web

Use their online store locator (here) to find retailers near you. However, if any of these stores are near you, they will likely carry Stirrings - BevMo!, Total Wines & More, Draegers, Mollie Stones, Hi Time Liquors, Pacific Ranch Market, Daniels Market, Bristol Farms.

*Disclosure: I received product for free in exchange for recipe development for the Stir It Up Holiday Blogger Mixology Challenge. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the manufacturer of this product.

1 comment:

  1. Great job....I need to get going on my creation.

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons