We love shortbread. I love that it's shippable to friend and family far away. And it's so easy - and flexible - to make. The kids who were in my Spice it Up! class still talk about the Sage Shortbread; I sent Matcha-Black Sesame Shortbread to my #FBCookieSwap recipients in 2013; but I think my favorite has been the Salted Fennel Pollen Shortbread.
I realized that I have never made a chocolate shortbread. I had to fix that after our Chocolate Tour in The City yesterday afternoon. I added in raw cacao nibs and some instant espresso for even more decadence.
- 10 T butter
- 1/2 C organic granulated sugar + some for rolling
- 2 t pure chocolate extract
- 1 T honey
- 1 T instant espresso powder
- 2 T raw cacao nibs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 C white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder