Sunday, April 20, 2014

#SundaySupper: Butter-Braised Easter Egg Radishes {Easter-Passover Feast}


My radishes are most often relegated to salads. There's nothing wrong with that; I love fresh radishes. Have you ever tried Radish Crudités with Creamy RicottaBut a little back I had seen a recipe for Butter-Braised Radishes that was posted in The Washington Post in 2008. I decided to give that a try with my own little twists...and with Easter Egg radishes to bring to this week's #SundaySupper. 

It's remarkable how much a quick braise transforms radishes. It even softens the colors dramatically...and the braising renders the usually piquant radishes mellow and silky. 


Ingredients

  • 2 T butter
  • 1 bunch Easter Egg (or any kind of) radishes, cleaned, greens removed, halved or quartered lengthwise
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • 1 T honey (I used a local avocado honey)
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1 T fresh mint, thinly sliced
  • olive oil 

Procedure
Use a pan large enough to hold the radishes without crowding. Melt the butter over medium heat; let it brown slightly. Add the radishes, honey, and water. Stir to combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes or so. Uncover, increase the heat to high and bring back to a boil. Cook for another few minutes, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Toss with chopped mint, a splash of olive oil, and a bit more salt and pepper if you wish.


Here's what the rest of the #SundaySupper brought to the party...

Breakfast/Brunch
Appetizers:
Savory and Sweet Breads:
Sides and Salads:
Main Dishes:
Desserts:


Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. 

Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. 

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. 

20 comments:

  1. I have always eaten radishes raw... I MUST try to cook with them. These look so good. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never cooked radishes before, but after seeing this recipe, I will definitely give cooking them a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, spring-time dish! I have a feeling I'd love braised radishes...especially using your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, I wish I knew about this recipe. I had so many radishes that they grew in my refrigerator. I didn't know what to do with them so I tossed them, and now they are gone. This recipe would have been perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound incredible! I usually just have them raw or pickled but braised in butter? Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wonderful for Spring! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I roast radishes in the oven, but haven't braised them yet. I'll try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had cooked radishes before but that is going to change really soon, thank you for a fantastic recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot how good cooked radishes are, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll definitely have to try this out if it mellows them out a bit. Radishes are just okay in my book in moderation because of the bite, but this looks like a side I could get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a different idea. I've never tried radishes this way, but it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO glad to see another radish fan! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you did a recipe from 2008! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at "butter! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Butter braised radishes?!!! Love this!! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking for a new way to use radishes - I'll have to bookmark this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Radishes are one thing that I haven't gotten creative with yet. I'm VERY happy that you shared this with us! Now I have a recipe to try when we find radishes in our farm share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Radishes and butter is a fantastic combination!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been able to get into radishes but my parents absolutely adore them! Passing this recipe onto them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love radishes - frequently we have them cold with a little pat of butter and sprinkle of fleur de sel.

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons