Skip to main content

Bison Gingerbread Coffee Cake

That is 'bison' as in Bison Brewing Company, in Berkeley, not bison the animal! For Dylan's May the Forks Be With You brunch, I called this Qui-Gon Jinn-gerbread.


A note about Bison's Organic Gingerbread Ale: I have been looking for this for two years! It's a limited release ale - only available between September and December - and for the past two years, by the time I get around to looking for it, I can't find it. This year, I saw it at our local Whole Foods in November and snagged up three four-packs before they disappeared. I decided to sacrifice one to this gingerbread coffee cake for Dylan's birthday brunch.

1/2 C chopped cashews
2 T dark brown sugar
1-1/4 C butter, plus some for greasing
1 C unsulphered molasses
1 C dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 bottle Bison Brewing gingerbread beer
2 t ground ginger
2 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
2 C white whole wheat flour
1/4 C dark rye flour
1 T baking powder
1 C sour cream
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter a bundt pan and spread the cashews and 2 T of dark brown sugar around the bottom.

Melt the remaining butter completely. Stir in molasses, brown sugar, gingerbread beer, eggs, and sour cream. Add in dry ingredients and stir till completely moistened. Spoon into buttered cake pan. Bake for 1 hour or
till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I served this with a Ginger-Lemon Curd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...