Skip to main content

Cranberry & Pear Cardamom-Scented Crisp



To wrap up this horrifically hectic week, I decided to bake a warm, comforting dessert: a crisp with winter fruit. And what I had on hand were three kinds of pears (comice, red, and bosc) and some cranberries in the freezer. I scented the crisp with cardamom because I love its earthy, spicy aroma.

3 pears, cored and sliced
1 C frozen cranberries
1/3 C raw sugar
1/3 C flour
1 t ground cardamom

Mix all of the above ingredients together. Toss to coat completely. Press lightly into a buttered baking dish. While preheating the oven to 350 degrees, make the crisp (topping)

Crisp
6 T butter
1/2 C flour
1/3 C raw sugar
1/2 C rolled oats
1/4 C ground almonds
1/2 t ground cardamom

Mix all of the crisp ingredients together with a pastry cutter. until combined and crumbly. Top the fruit with the crumble and bake until the filling is bubbling and the crisp beginning to brown. It might take 50-55 minutes. Serve immediately, or while still warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...