Skip to main content

White Chocolate Beet Pudding {Valentines}

When I got the sign-up for Dylan's class Valentine party, I asked the little boy what he wanted to bring. Without missing a beat, he declared, "Beets!" Okay. I masked my utter delight in that answer and asked how he wanted to bring them. He suggested that I roast them and use a cookie cuter to make them into hearts. Talk about dirt candy...

Sadly, I don't think his classmates will be as enthusiastic about his choice; and I know that his feelings will be hurt if no one eats them. So, against my better judgement, I set about giving him some options to disguise the beets.

First up...

White Chocolate Beet Pudding
2 C roasted beets, peeled and shredded
2 C organic heavy whipping cream
1 C organic whole milk
1/2 C organic raw sugar
3 T cornstarch
6 egg yolks
1 2 C white chocolate chunks or chips (And the verdict is in: too sweet. So I would cut the chocolate in half next time.)

In a sauce pan, heat the whipping cream, milk, sugar, and cornstarch, whisking till smooth. Once it comes to a simmer, add the shredded beets. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from heat. Beat the egg yolks and add 1/2 C of the hot cream mixture to the yolks, then add that back into the pot. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate until smooth. Spoon into individual serving cups, cover, and chill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...