· The official language of Kuwait is Arabic, but English is also widely spoken and understood.
· Kuwait became an independent country, after the end of British Protectorate, on 19th June 1961.
· Kuwait is the fourth richest country in the world in terms of per capita income and has the world's fifth largest proven oil reserves.
· Kuwait's oil fields were discovered in the 1930s.
· Petroleum and petroleum products make up around 95 percent of export revenues, and 80 percent of government income.
· Full political rights were granted to women in Kuwait in 2005.
· Kuwaiti food is primarily based on the staple product of rice.
· Kuwait is one of the smallest countries in the world.
1 pound ground meat (we used turkey)
freshly ground pepper
dash of paprika
1 onion diced
2 diced tomatoes
4 C cooked rice
In the meantime, heat the butter with a splash of olive oil in a large soupot. Add the onions and cook until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until a thick tomato sauce begins to form. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the cooked rice and heat to warm. Spoon in the cooked meatballs and season to taste with more salt, pepper, cinnamon, and paprika. Just before serving, stir in the parsley.
This Global Table Ambassador is signing off for now. We're off to Kyrgyzstan next. Not sure where that is?! Me neither! But I will soon...