Skip to main content

Dylan's Eggnog Bar Cookies



On Friday, the wind and rain battered us as we ran from the parking lot to the classrooms. Dylan's hand was wet in mine. "Mom," he suggested, "I think it's an eggnog and cookies kind of a day. What do you think?" Sounds good, Sweetheart. But do you mean to drink or to bake into cookies? "Both!" Perfect. 

Well, I'm two days late, but it's still an eggnog and cookie day! And even though Dylan was my kitchen elf tonight, I'm calling this part of Riley's 12 Days of Christmas Cookies series. Dylan started with my trusty crust that I use for my lemon squares...with an eggnog twist.

2 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 C powdered sugar
3/4 C butter
pinch of pink Himalaya salt
1 T cold eggnog

Preheat oven to 350. Place flour, powdered sugar, and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in butter till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in eggnog until the mixture forms a ball. Press the dough into a 9"x13" baking pan and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Then we used the Washington Post's Eggnog Bars recipe for the filling...except that I swapped brandy for rum and added in more spices.

4 large egg yolks
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 T  brandy
1 t pure vanilla extract
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cinnamon
dash of ground ginger

Whisk together the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, rum, vanilla extract and nutmeg in a bowl until well combined. Pour over the hot crust. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the filling looks set. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely - at least 30 minutes - before cutting into squares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...