Skip to main content

The Food Matters Project: Braised Beef with Barley and Fall Flavors





We've come full circle and I am thrilled to be hosting The Food Matters Project once again.

Back in April I selected a recipe full of Springtime flavors: Fish Braised in Rhubarb Sauce. My first attempt was rhubarb-less; my second attempt was successful. And I will definitely be making that again when rhubarb appears on market shelves next Spring.


So, in keeping with this season, I wanted to make a hearty, Autumn-appropriate stew. I picked Bittman's Wheat Berries with Braised Beef and Parsnips as my inspiration. Admittedly, I made a few adjustments based on what I had in my cupboard. I subbed beer for the wine, skipped the garlic, added pumpkin, quince, and chestnuts, swapped watermelon radishes for the parsnips because I had some leftover from my CSA box, and ended up having to change out barley for farro. This recipe is definitely not for when you are in a rush. But if you have multiple hours - and I did because I was cranking on an article deadline - do it! You'll love the Fall flavors.

Splash of olive oil
1 pound grass-fed beef, (your choice of cut) cubed
Salt and black pepper
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 12 oz beer (I used some Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale)
2 shots of espresso
3 C  organic beef , chicken, or vegetable stock or water + more as needed
1 C barley
2 bay leaves
1 T fennel seeds
8 large watermelon radishes, scrubbed, quartered, and sliced
1 C roasted pumpkin, cubed
1 C steamed chestnuts (thank goodness for Trader Joe's vacuum packed chestnuts!)
2 quince, peeled, cored, and sliced
sour cream, for garnish
pumpkin seed oil, for garnish
crisped bacon bits, for garnish

In a large pot saute your onions in a splash of olive oil. Once they caramelized, add the beef and brown until the edges are lightly seared. Add in one bottle of beer, one shot of espresso, and fennel seeds.


Braise the beef until it's falling apart. I did mine for about 2 hours on really low heat. Add another beer, another shot of espresso, stock, bay leaves, barley, quince and radishes. Continue simmering for another hour. Stir in the pumpkin and chestnuts and cook till warmed through.

To serve, garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a few browned bits of bacon, and a drizzling of pumpkin seed oil.

Though I diverged from Mark Bittman's recipe, it was certainly my leaping off point and I will be making this Fall stew often throughout the chilly season. Once I get my hands on some farro, I'll be making this again.

To see what the other foodie bloggers whipped up, click here. Look in the comments section.




Comments

  1. thanks so much for hosting, i loved this recipe. it turned out to be a really cold weekend and this was perfect to tuck into sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice Camilla! It has been a long time since I made stew and I had never had wheat berries before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do the radishes go in? When do I use the beef stock?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Andy. I guess I didn't write that recipe very well. I've edited to include your two questions. ~CMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camilla, loved your choice this week! Thanks for hosting and picking such a great recipe. It was so adaptable and we really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look tasty! I love wheat berries...but farro is probably my favorite grain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce