Skip to main content

Kolovos Family Kourambiedes

After trying kourambiedes at the Greek Festival earlier this year, my friend Jenn sent me her inlaws' recipe for them. Here's the Kolovos family recipe for kourambiedes with ouzo.... Opa!


Ingredients

  • 1/2 C butter, at room temperature
  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 C organic granulated sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 2 ½ T ouzo
  • powdered sugar for dusting
Procedure
Preheat the oven to 350˚F degrees. Grease two baking sheets and then set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and egg yolk. Continue beating until well blended. Add vanilla and ouzo. Beat until combined. Mix 1 cup of the flour with the baking powder and add to the mixture. Add the remaining cup of flour, a little at a time.

Form dough into balls, or cresents, and place 1" apart on the greased baking sheets.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are light brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the sheets, place on a cooling rack, and generously sift powdered sugar over the cookies. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

Thanks, Jenn. These were a hit!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...