Sunday, November 11, 2012

Riley's Pumpkin Pie


Riley has been asking me to turn some of the last Halloween pumpkins into a pie. So, yesterday while he was helping out at the Food Bank, I roasted them and made pumpkin puree. This afternoon I asked him to wash his hand and get an apron. "Why?" You're going to make pumpkin pie. "Oh, I wanted you to make it, Mom." Nope. If you want it, you will learn to make it!

The Crust
2 C white whole wheat flour
1/4 C ground almonds
1/2 C powdered sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 C butter


Mix the flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt; rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in 1 teaspoon of water with a fork until the mixture forms a ball. Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper. Press gently into a pie pan. Chill in the freezer until ready to bake.


The Pie
3 C pumpkin puree
1 C heavy cream
3 eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup, agave, and molasses (I would normally just use maple syrup, but I didn't have enough, so we combined)
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cardamom
1/4 t ground nutmeg








Whisk all of that together and place in the crust. Bake in a 350 degree oven for an hour or until the filling is set.

1 comment:

  1. He did a fantastic job.

    grrr....can I just say, I've had to re-do my "word verification" four times on this one? aaaaaagggghhhhh. Do you get a lot of spam that you need the verification...just curious?

    ReplyDelete