Sunday, September 30, 2012

Food Matters Project: Roasted Fig-Gorgonzola Balls



This week's challenge for the Food Matters Project was chosen by Jess of Cheese Please. Naturally, caseophile that she is, she picked a cheesy recipe, Bittman's Cheese-Nut Balls. Here's her post: Cheddar Cheese and Almond Nut Ball.

Bittman writes that "cheese balls take well to additions, like olives, fresh chiles, cranberries, dried fruit...." Done.

While I opted to stick with his parmesan and gorgonzola combination, I added roasted figs for some extra flavor. Then I drizzled the ball with some raw, local honey and served it all with some multi-grain baguette slices. It was the perfect start to our Sunday feast.


Roasted Figs 

Destem and halve your figs. Lay them on a baking stone and sprinkle them with some organic granulated sugar. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the figs are softened and caramelized. Let cool.

Cheese Ball

1/2 C ground almonds
juice from 1 lemon
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
1/4 C grated parmesan
1/2 C crumbled gorgonzola
1 C roasted figs, chopped

I don't have a food processor, so I just mashed everything together in a mixing bowl. Then I shaped the mixture into 4 small discs and refrigerated them to firm. As I mentioned above, I served these with a drizzle of raw honey and some multi-grain baguette slices.

Delicious! Great pick, Jess.

And click here to see what all the other Food Matters Project bloggers made...and look in the comments section.

5 comments:

  1. ok, the addition of roasted figs sounds so good! and then you top with raw honey and it takes it even further. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love figs... and the cheese and honey combo is just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried roasting figs before. I was thinking this would also be a yummy stuffing for figs. Thanks for posting the instructions - that sounds easy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roasted figs are delicious, especially with cheese and nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons