Skip to main content

Lamb Osso Buco and Food Memories from Kate Christensen #FoodieReads



I think the busier my life gets, the more I lose myself in books during every spare, unscheduled moment. I juggle multiple books all year long; it just gets worse during summer vacation. This is one that I took on my son's birthday camping trip a couple of years ago. And while the kids were at the archery range, I sat by the fire and read the afternoon away. I, apparently, never hit 'publish' on this post. Fixing that now...

On the Page...

Blue Plate Special: An Autobiography of My Appetites by Kate Christensen* is an atypical food memoir. It doesn't chronicle a trip around the world in pursuit of the perfect plate of something; it's not about a year-long cooking project, with a well-defined start, middle, and end. It's, as its subtitle, a story of her life informed by her relationship with food.

First, there are the soft-boiled egg and pieces of buttered toast strips she’s eating in Berkeley when she witnesses her father brutally beating her mother. Then there’s the sublime, velvety zucchini she eats in the apartment above the kitchen at Château de La Mhotte where she is working as an au pair. She writes: "That zucchini woke me up to the idea that food had possibilities and qualities that I had not suspected. I began to pay closer attention to what I ate...as something to savor when it was good...."

Her boyfriend, then husband, taught her how to enjoy food without guilt, remorse, or puritanism. As she feasted on steak frites, artichokes, poached eggs, steak tartare, oysters, beef bourguignon, blini and caviar...all washed down with rustic red wine, she fell in love with Jon. Later, after her divorce, she discovers she's gluten-intolerant when "it took about twenty-four hours to return to normal after one crumb of gluten." She avoids malt, barley, rye, oats, spelt, couscous, bulgur, and sprouted wheat; she steers clear of any food fried in oil used to fry wheat-containing food.

All of her memories center around food in some way. Food opened up the memory around it. Food memories.

On the Plate...

Of course I was most compelled to make one of the classic, simple dishes that Brendan, the man who eventually wins her heart, makes for her while they are at his grandmother's villa in Tuscany. I agonized over "spinach gnudi with a butter sage sauce; roasted leg of lamb with green pepper-apple-onion curry, arborio rice, and mango chutney; ...lasagna with veal Bolognese...breaded veal cutlets...." All of those are drool-worthy in my book. Finally, I decided to try my hand at a tender osso buco, well a faux osso buco since I don't eat veal. But that is a commentary for another post. The flavor develops, so I made these the night before we planned to eat them.

Lamb Osso Buco

I picked up lamb shanks and had the butcher halve them to reveal the bone. Osso buco translates as "hole in the bone," referring to the delectable marrow in the center of the shank bone.

Ingredients serves 3
  • 3 lamb shanks, halved to reveal the bone
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • flour, for dusting
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch coins (I used yellow, orange, and purple carrots)
  • 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 2 cloves of black garlic, smashed
  • 1 C farmhouse ale
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 C fresh tomato sauce
  • gremolata, for garnish (recipe link below)

Procedure

Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Dust them with flour, shaking off the excess.

Preheat the oven to 300° F. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add shanks and cook over medium heat until richly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the shanks to a roasting pan that's large enough to hold them all in a single layer without crowding.

Add the carrots, fennel, shallots, and black garlic to the dish. Add the farmhouse ale, water, and tomato sauce.


Cover the roasting pan with foil. Transfer the shanks to the oven and braise for 3 hours, or until the meat is very tender.


Let cool completely before sticking in the refrigerator.

Before you're ready to serve, let the shanks come to room temperature. Move the meat, veggies, and sauce into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to a simmer, and braise for another hour.Transfer the shanks to plates. Bring the sauce back to a boil until sauce reduces by half. Ladle the sauce on top and serve with gremolata - here's one version of gremolata that I made with my Spice it Up! class.

*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.

Click to see what everyone else read in January 2020: here.

Comments

  1. That sounds delicious! I think the recipe is very similar to the more traditional dish with veal shanks, but would also work with the more-strongly-flavored lamb.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM Cam....Love Osso Bucco, I normally use beef shanks as veal is off my list as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce