Skip to main content

HOW TO: Eat Heads-On Shrimp


After a post in Weekends in a French Kitchen, there was some talk amongst the bloggers about how to peel and eat heads-on shrimp. I decided I should rope in the Kitchen Elves for a tutorial. Here we go...

A quick note on preparation: I boiled these with some Old Bay, sprinkled them with more Old Bay and a dash of salt, and drizzled them with melted butter. Then the Enthusiastic Kitchen Elf squeezed fresh lemon juice over the top.


Okay. Ready? You have your whole shrimp, head and all...


Twist off the head and suck out the juice. Seriously. It's the best part! Well, maybe not the best part, but it's definitely part of the experience. For the record, only my mini-boys and I suck the shrimp heads. My husband says that Filipino by marriage doesn't mean he has to eat like a Filipino. Fair enough. More for us!


Use your fingers to peel down one side; the legs will stay connected to one side or other other. As you peel down - towards the tail - you'll be able to pull that tail off easily.


Here you go. All set to eat!


The remains of our heads-on shrimp feast and the end of my tutorial. I hope you try it and enjoy the shrimp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...