Thursday, July 9, 2015

#handcraftededibles: Meyer Lemon Bitters

I've decided that I am going to give handmade holiday gifts this year. You can follow my hashtag #handcraftededibles from now till December as I madly whip up things for friends and family. When I took a poll, friends all voted for edibles - or drinkables. So, I'm starting now. I'll be bottling up some Meyer lemon bitters for lucky cocktail crafters that I know. Our Meyer lemon tree is producing like crazy. I might have some limoncello in the works soon, too.


The bitters formula seems pretty simple - bittering agents plus flavoring agents plus alcohol. Cheers.

Ingredients
  • peel from 2 organic Meyer lemons
  • 6 white cardamom pods
  • 1/2 t whole cloves
  • 1/2 t coriander seeds
  • one 1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut into strips
  • 1 t birch bark pieces
  • 10 ounces vodka

Procedure
Place all of the ingredients in a jar. Make sure that the spices are submerged. Cover with a lid and place in the cupboard. Shake gently everyday. Let steep and infuse for two to four weeks. Strain and re-bottle.

I'll be sharing recipes that used these #handcraftededibles, too. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Totally geeking out over making your own bitters. I need to try this. How long will the bitters stay fresh once made and bottled?

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons