Skip to main content

Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole for #SundaySupper

Today the #SundaySupper crew is sharing Captivating Casseroles. Before deciding on my dish, I started with the question: what exactly is a casserole?

A casserole, from the French word casse, refers to a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word also describes the food cooked and served in said a vessel. So, essentially, a casserole refers to anything cooked in a casserole dish. Okay.

So a lasagna is a casserole? According to this definition, yes, an Italian casserole. A shepherd's pie is a casserole? Sure, a British casserole. Here's what I brought to the table...in my casserole dish.


 My three boys eyed the dish suspiciously. I explained the project and shared the definition.

"I've seen you bake cakes in that dish." noted Jake.

"So, those cakes are casseroles?" posed R.

Yes. I guess they are.

"Cool. A cake casserole," said R.

D just stared at the pan. It probably didn't help that I had teased: D, this recipe is from your people.

"What do you mean my people?"

People in Oklahoma make casseroles - 

"And you were born in Oklahoma," interrupted R.

"I know where I was born," snapped the Wom. "Why do the people in Oklahoma make casseroles?"

No idea. But I know that they do.

When D was born, I was part of a moms' club. And many of the members graciously brought dinner over to the house so that I didn't have to cook for awhile. Meal trains are a god-send for new moms. But during that week or two after we came home from the hospital, I saw more casseroles than I had seen in my entire life. It was one of those that I decided to replicate: a fully loaded tater tot casserole with all the beloved toppings on a baked potato - sour cream, green onions, and cheese! You can buy the tater tots, certainly, but I made mine.


Ingredients
For the Tater Tots
  • 6-7 large red potatoes
  • 1/2 C shredded cheese (I had a medium sharp cheddar)
  • freshly ground sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • canola oil
For the Casserole
  • 1 onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • pat of butter
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 C pancetta, cubed
  • 2 T parsley, chopped
  • 1 T dill, chopped
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 t ground paprika
  • 1 C organic sour cream
  • 1 C medium cheddar, shredded
  • 4 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • enough tater tots to cover the top of your casserole

Procedure
For the Tater Tots
Preheat oven to  400°F. Scrub the potatoes clean and roast until they are fork tender. Cool them rapidly by plunging them in ice water. Change the water, and repeat, until the potatoes are cool. Shred the potatoes on the large holes of a box grater.

Place the other ingredients into the bowl - except the canola oil - with the grated potatoes and use a fork to fully combine everything. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and brush it with oil.

Preheat oven to  425°F. Using about a teaspoon of the potato mixture, form it into a cylinder about 1 inch long. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all the tots are made. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, turning once about 20 minutes into the cooking time.


For the Casserole
In a large, flat-bottom pan, brown your onions and celery in a pat of butter. Once the onions are translucent and softened, add in the beef and pancetta. Cook completely. Season with herbs, paprika, salt, and pepper.


Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir in the sour cream and spoon the mixture into your baking dish. Sprinkle with green onions.


Layer with shredded cheese, then arrange the tater tots over the top. Bake for 20 minutes - till the cheese is melted and the meat mixture is bubbling below.


To serve, scoop portions into bowls.


Here's what the rest of the crew brought to the table...

Captivating Breakfast Casseroles
Appetizing Casserole Sides
Main Event Casseroles
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles

Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. 

Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. 

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. 

Comments

  1. "cake casserole" cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yeah, I got a lot of casseroles when my children were born---I don't think any were as scrumptious as this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined #SundaySupper but too late to join in on this week and next week is sponsored so I can't join then we are going on vacation but I will definitely be joining you guys as soon as our schedules align. Too bad I wasn't in time for this theme because, being from the Midwest and all, casseroles are our life LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to have you around the #SundaySupper table, Wendy. Thanks for always commenting.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow, Camilla, you made your own tater tots?! Extra points for that huge extra step! Nothing better than a fully loaded potato so I love your casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of casserole I grew up with -- only better! I never thought to make my own tots, though. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was waiting for a tater tot casserole and you went above and beyond and MADE your own tater tots! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how neat! you made your own tater tots??? I'll have to try this out for sure! I'm not a fan of the store bought kind so maybe your recipe will change my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tater tots were such a fave when I was a kid, I would love this as an adult too though. Sounds awesome!

    -Julie @ Texan New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a perfect casserole! I love the homemade tater tots and the comforting ingredients here! Filing and making!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made tater tot casserole. It looks oh so tasty. I think I need to start with making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for looking up the origins of casserole, Camilla. Thank you, too, for the heart-warming story of neighbors acting in very neighborly ways. Last and not least, very much appreciate your yummy, tummy-pleasing (and healthier than regular tater-tots) casserole =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tater Tot Casserole is very popular in Minnesota. I have never tried it, but am excited to try your recipe. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Mom train" sounds like a great idea! This casserole with homemade tots works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never had a tater tot casserole. I feel like I've been missing out on something lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce