Skip to main content

Tantanmen Ramen: Long-Simmered Broth, Local Pork, and Soy-Pickled Eggs #FoodieReads


When I was looking for a ramen cookbook, I flipped through several of them before purchasing this one - Ramen: Japanese Noodles and Small Dishes by Tove Nilsson.* I will say that cookbook appeal is very personal. Some readers might prefer beautiful photos where others desire a well-told story. I tend to like a mix of those. But what drew me to this book is that everything needed for a bowl of homemade ramen was included - from the broth to the toppings and even the noodles.


Okay, so I didn't end up making my own ramen noodles. However, trust me, I have that on my to-do list now! But, with Nilsson's book as inspiration, I made a Homemade Ramen Broth with pig trotters and chicken paws; I pickled eggs in soy sauce; and I ended up with a delicious version of Nilsson's Tantanmen Ramen. 

For this culinary creation I needed pig trotters, pork bones, and ground pork. Thankfully, I know a pig farmer; he and his Bacon Bus come to town once a month. You can read about Jack Kimmich and his California Kurobuta in my post: California Kurobuta Burgers.

Before I get to my recipe, I wanted to say a few things about this book. I said it inspired me into the kitchen. That's already a winner in my mind! 

She offers a variety of broths from pork and chicken broth to mushroom broth. I mentioned the noodle recipes. Then she details a dizzying number of ramen variations from Shoyu Ramen to Chicken Katsu Ramen and Lemon Clam Ramen. All of them had me wanting to stick some chopsticks into the book! Though we have made meals out of ramen, it's her chapter on small plates that will have me coming back to this book. I love the tasty sidedishes she offers: sweetcorn with ponzu, sesame-fried spinach, crispy prawn daikon, and pumpkn cooked in dashi. Yes, please!! I will try them all.


I had a tough time deciding on which ramen to make. I knew I wanted to make a new-to-us ramen and I wanted to use some of the fresh veggies I had on-hand; and I had some bok choy that needed to be used. So the Tantanmen Ramen called my name.

Ingredients serves 4 
slightly adapted from Nilsson
Soup Base


Pork

  • 2 T oil
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 2 T green onions, finely sliced
  • 1" ginger root, peeled and grated
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
  • 2 T fermented black beans
  • 1 t sesame oil
  • 2 t hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
  • 2 T soy sauce

To Serve

  • 4 portions of noodles (I used millet & brown rice ramen noodles)
  • 2 small bok choy, halved lengthwise
  • 4 to 6 T shredded cabbage
  • 4 soy sauce pickled eggs (recipe to come), halved
  • sesame seeds for garnish (I used black sesame seeds)

Procedure
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot, then reduce to a simmer and keep warm.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, preferably one with a strainer basket so cook the bok choy and noodles in the same water without having to re-boil. Blanch the bok choy. Remove it from the pan and rinse it with cold water. Keep the water at a simmer for the noodles.

Pork
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add in the ground pork, green onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook until the pork is mostly browned. Stir in the beans, sesame oil, hot sauce, and soy sauce. Continue cooking until  the meat is a dark brown and some bits crispy.

To Serve
Place 2 T tahini, 1/2 T sesame oil, and 1/2 t hot sauce in the bottom of each serving bowl. 

Cook your noodles according to package directions, if you're using packaged ones! While your noodles cook, gently ladle 1-1/2 C broth into each bowl and whisk to incorporate the tahini, oil, and sauce into the broth.

Divide the noodles into the serving bowls and ladle in another 1/2 C on top of the noodles. Top with the ground pork, soy sauce pickled eggs, boy choy, and shredded cabbage. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve hot.


*This blog currently has a partnership with Amazon.com in their affiliate program, which gives me a small percentage of sales if you buy a product through a link on my blog. It doesn't cost you anything more. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to go directly to Amazon.com and search for the item of your choice.


Here's what everyone else read in August 2018: here.

Comments

  1. What a lot of work must go into those beautiful bowls! Your description is mouth-watering, but I'm just too lazy. And you have in mind to make the noodles as well. You are impressive! But I'll think about it tomorrow when I plan to have dinner at a local restaurant that serves carefully made Asian noodle bowls!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw you posting about those trotters, I couldn't imagine what you were making, I thought perhaps it was going to be along the lines of a head cheese or something. I never would have guessed ramen LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce