Skip to main content

Poached Salmon with Olive Tapenade

As we work on cutting back on carbs and eating more omega-3s, I whipped up a quick salmon dinner on this busy weeknight. Lay this on top of a bed of steamed lentils and you have a filling, healthy meal.


Ingredients serves 4
  • 1 to 1½ pounds salmon fillets (I prefer local, wild-caught)
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • juice from 1 organic lemon
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 1 T olive oil
  • water

Tapenade
  • 2 C whole olives (I used a combination of Picholine and Niçoise)
  • 3 t brined capers
  • 1 t brine from the capers
  • 3 to 4 anchovies, olive oil-packed
  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced
  • zest from 1 organic lemon
  • juice from 1 organic lemon
  • olive oil

Procedure
Sprinkle the salmon fillets with a little pepper and place them flat in the bottom of a rimmed pan. Pour in enough water to come up halfway on the fish and add the garlic. Bring to a simmer on medium heat. Cover and poach for 5 to 10 minutes. Length of cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish.

Tapenade
Remove the pits from the olives with a pitter or a sharp knife. Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Process to preferred texture; I left this one chunky and rustic. Let stand for, at least, 10 minutes before serving.

Adjust seasonings as needed. Served immediately.


I served this with a green salad, tomatoes, and sprouted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

Comments

  1. My husband will love this dinner! (I don't eat fish, but I cook it for him about once a week or every other week.) Thanks for sharing at our Heatlhy Eats Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...