I tested a few rum recipes for this month's Fantastical Food Fight hosted by Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes. For more information about the event, click here.
- 3 T raw, unfiltered honey
- 3 T rum
- 2 T gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 1 T peeled fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound wild caught salmon filet
- Also needed: grill or grill pan, oil for the grill
Whisk together first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Place salmon in a shallow dish with a lid. Pour marinade over the fish. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Turn the fish at least twice during the hour.
Heat a grill or grill pan, coating the pan with oil. Place the fish on the grill, skin-side down. Cook until the fish is opaque a little more than halfway up. For a 1" thick filet, it'll take about 4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
I served it with a few different salads, including a fresh slaw, a raw beet salad, and a potato salad.