Skip to main content

Codorniz en Mole Poblano (Quail in Mole Poblano)



Yesterday I went to a mole making class with a bunch of friends. Click for that post which includes the recipe for Mole Poblano. 


We has so much fun and ended up with lots of leftover sauce. So, for dinner tonight I decided to use some quail to make Codorniz en Mole Poblano (Quail in Mole Poblano). This is so easy and so tasty...thanks to the delicious sauce from our class.


Ingredients serves 4 

  • 4 semi-deboned quail (I order mine from D'Artagnan, they are approximately 4 ounces each)
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 t fresh parsley, minced
  • mole poblano

Procedure
Place quail on a platter. While the grill or grill pan heats, sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, and parsey. Drizzle with olive oil. Warm the mole sauce in a small skillet and keep warm.


When the pan is hot. Place the quail flat and cook them for 4 to 6 minutes. Check on them once or twice to make sure that they are not browning too quickly. Spoon some mole sauce on them and flip them over. Cook on the other side for 4 to 6 minutes. If they are still not cooked through, flip and cook for another few minutes.


To serve, ladle 1/4 C of mole poblano on each plate. Set the grilled quail on top of the sauce. Serve with more sauce on the side. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper, if desired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...