Skip to main content

Chimichurri-Topped Flank Steak

This is a delicious - and relatively quick dinner - I served it with roasted potatoes and a green salad topped with tomatoes and avocados. Thankfully, I had the foresight to set some of the slices aside for steak sandwiches for lunch the next day. Otherwise, we would have eaten till it was completely devoured.


Ingredients
Meat
  • 1 flank steak, between 2 and 3 pounds) 
  • 1 T organic brown sugar 
  • 1 T paprika 
  • 1 t smoked paprika
  • 1 t freshly ground salt
  • 1/2 t ground cumin 
  • 1/2 t ground coriander 
  • olive oil

Chimichurri
  • 2 C fresh cilantro
  • 1 C fresh parsley
  • 2 T fresh oregano
  • 2 T fresh mint
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 2 T vinegar (I used a white balsamic)
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • zest from 1 lemon
  • olive oil
  • optional: freshly ground salt and freshly ground pepper

Procedure
Meat
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the flank steak on a parchment-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, paprikas, salt, cumin, and coriander. Sprinkle the spices over the flank steak and rub it in. Drizzle with olive oil. Then roast in the preheated oven for between 25 and 40 minutes, depending on desired level of doneness.

Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving. While the flank steak roasts and rest, prepare your sauce.

Chimichurri
Put all ingredients - except olive oil - in blender and pulse to a thick paste. Remove from blender and whisk in olive oil until desired consistency. To serve, place the chimichurri on top of flank steak slices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style {Spice It Up!}

photo by D For my Spice It Up! kiddos this week, I was looking for an exotic drink to serve while we learned about saffron. I found a recipe from food historian Maricel Presilla that mimicked traditional Spanish hot chocolate from the 17th century where it was served at lavish receptions called agasajos . When I teach, I don't always get to shoot photos. Thankfully, D grabbed my camera and snapped a few. Ingredients serves 14-16 1 gallon organic whole milk 3 T dried rosebuds - or 2 t rosewater 2 t saffron threads, lightly crushed 3 T ground cinnamon 3 whole tepin chiles, crushed 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise 1 C organic granulated sugar 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate Procedure In a large soup pot that can hold a gallon plus, combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater, if you are using that), saffron threads, ground cinnamon, chiles, vanilla beans, and sugar and warm over medium heat till it steams. Whisk to dissolve sugar, then lower heat an...

A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige #ItalianFWT on CulinaryCam.Com

I am in the process of migrating over to my new domain. Come on over to read " A Cheese Board Anchored on a Trio of Italian Cheeses + A Pinot Nero from Alto Adige " for December's #ItalianFWT.

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce...