Skip to main content

Retro Food: Creamy Baked Pork Chops for #SundaySupper


Today's #SundaySupper task: "Share recipes for food popular in the 50's, 60's, or 70's.
Share recipes for food popular in the 50's, 60's, or 70's." Hmmm...okay. 

Given that I have no memories before the mid-70s, and what I do remember wasn't particularly inspiring, I started by looking at food advertisements from those decades. There was lots of cooking with Jello and Miracle Whip. Wow. I laughed at the Five Star Casserole recipe featuring Armour Vienna Sausage. Nope, not going there.

But then I saw this ad for Campbell's - for Creamy Baked Pork Chops. If you can't make out the content, it's essentially pork chops, cream of celery soup, and water. I knew I could make this completely in my style, that is to say from scratch. No cans in sight.

Campbell's Soup ad from 1963

Ingredients serves 4
  • 4 T butter, divided in half
  • olive oil
  • 3 C chopped celery
  • 1-1/1 T white whole wheat flour
  • 1 C organic heavy cream
  • 1 C organic chicken broth
  • 1/2 C warm water
  • 1/2 C shredded parmesan
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 4 bone-in pork chops

Procedure
In a skillet, saute the celery in 1 T of butter until it begins to soften.

In large soup pot, melt 3 T butter and a splash of olive oil over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour, allowing the mixture to bubble to form a roux.  Whisk in the broth, heavy cream, and water.  Stir in the celery and increase the heat to medium-high and continue to whisk for 5 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken. Turn heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the shredded parmesan. Set aside.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the rack inside the oven to be able to accommodate your pot. In a large pot with a lid - I use a Dutch oven - brown the pork chops in oil for 2 minutes on each side.


Pour the cream of celery soup over the top and bring to a bubble. Cover the pot and place it in the oven to 40 to 45 minutes.


Serve hot.

Here's what the rest of the #SundaySupper crew brought to the retro table...

Bodacious Breakfasts and Appetizers:
Made in the Shade Main Dishes:
Swell Side Dishes:
Dreamy Desserts:
The Bee's Knees Beverages:

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! 
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Comments

  1. I love those old ads! Nice to see you updated one of those recipes to make it without the canned soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I have never looked at the ingredients of canned soup, but I'm sure it includes more than a handful of things! This was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a quick and easy meal. I'm also glad you updated it without the canned soup, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those soup recipes! I think everyone had some type of cream of mushroom soup recipe in the files!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, I'm remember tuna noodle casserole with cream of mushroom soup from my college roommate. It was the 90s, but I know it was her mom's recipe from the 70s.

      Delete
  4. Oh the heavier the better back in those days! I remember creamy pork chops my mom used to make I love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for updating this retro recipe! It sounds wonderful---my family loves pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to think what my kids would consider if asked to make one of my recipes from their childhood. Campbell's soup was a staple in not only my kitchen but everyone's kitchens during the 70's. It never even occurred to us that we could make our own....the power of advertising to brainwash the general population LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the kind of easy recipe my mother always enjoyed. Brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the old ads! I remember everyone used soups in everything in the 60's. Great update on the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you proved here that those soup as shortcuts was overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding tin soup to everything sadly was my husband's first introduction to American cooking when he visited years ago. He left with the idea that American's didn't know how to cook without it. No tins of soup in this house, and with recipes like this it is easy to see how that is possible. Lovely recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could eat two of these right now! I LOVE that you found the vintage recipe print for Campbell's also! I'm making these for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent'm loving the food blog I love this recipe I facina excellent very good good job this blog

    http://food.all-all.website/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum!! Creamy + Pork Chops = What time is dinner at y house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to make something very similar in the electric frying pan--it simmered instead of baking.... thanks for showing how easy it is to toss the canned soup.... looking forward to giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I haven't thought about this classic in years, and now I really want it!

    -Julie @ Texan New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any suggestion for a replacement to the celery. I hate celery with a passion but i want to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say onions or mushroom. Would love to hear how it goes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaƮtre Bonhome' VirƩ-ClessƩ #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, CĆ©sar, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'MaĆ®tre Bonhome' VirĆ©-ClessĆ©. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce